Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Just to ask around as I am shopping for a rack optimized server. Right now I am looking at HP, IBM and Apple. However, Xserve seems to be too expensive. Does anyone here has any opinions or advice for servers? not necessary that it has to apply to my question, perhaps some general advice when looking to buy servers.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
For a server:

512MB of RAM is the bare minimum. You don't want it using a pagefile unless you like a slow computer

For general use: a RAID 5 array is really nice. Do it SATA if you can, or normal ATA if you cannot. SATA is newer so you might not be able to do it just yet...give it a few years. Normal ATA (aka, PATA) is used pretty much all over. I'd say one hard drive dedicated for the system (~30GB) and then the RAID 5 array for everything else. This is for a Windows/Linux server and not for an Xserve because I know more about the former.

A method of backup: A CD-RW burner is a must, or a DVD burner. Maybe a Zip 250 or a 750 drive...maybe.

That is my opinion. Feel free to nitpick now.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Lanbrown said:
The biggest question before any advice is given is, a server for what?
mostly a server for hosting files, nothing processing intensive though so storage wise have to be pretty capable. thanks Mechcozmo for the comments

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
angelneo said:
mostly a server for hosting files, nothing processing intensive though so storage wise have to be pretty capable. thanks Mechcozmo for the comments

Have you considered NAS (Network Attached Storage) "appliances" at all?

Most people who say "I need a server" don't really *need* a full, complicated, hard to setup and manage server.

With NAS you get a platform-agnostic (Win/Mac/*NIX) beefy hard drive available on the network that is managed (usually) through a web-based interface. If you don't need a firewall, mail server, web server, print server, Active/Open Directory user account or already have that you might go with NAS.

And you may want to talk to a consultant. They cost more but you usually have someone local to deal with selecting and buying hardware, setting it up and even supporting it for you.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Sayer said:
Have you considered NAS (Network Attached Storage) "appliances" at all?

Most people who say "I need a server" don't really *need* a full, complicated, hard to setup and manage server.

With NAS you get a platform-agnostic (Win/Mac/*NIX) beefy hard drive available on the network that is managed (usually) through a web-based interface. If you don't need a firewall, mail server, web server, print server, Active/Open Directory user account or already have that you might go with NAS.

And you may want to talk to a consultant. They cost more but you usually have someone local to deal with selecting and buying hardware, setting it up and even supporting it for you.

Thanks alot. I have been talking to a couple of vendors and they have not even suggest this option to me yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.