Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1
coolguy89002
macrumors newbie

Lost everything on my Iphone, have no backup!

So i have quite the dilemma here. I had saved my backups to my laptop, but the laptop wire was chewed by my dog and that computer couldnt be used anymore. So i decided to update to iOS 4 on my Windows Desktop computer. I have never saved any backups to this computer. I clicked the update button on Itunes thinking that it will back it up for me and it showed that it was, until the very end when it said that 'The backup could not be saved on your computer' which i clicked okay to and the updated kept going on. I thought that messages, and contacts, and notes would not be deleted when updating and i didnt care about the music and the photos because there wasnt much. BUT was i wrong or what, after the update it showed it was restoring my phone and loading the previous backup. When the update was completed, i lost EVERYTHING on it. Losing the text messages definetly hurt the most. Is there a way to find the backup from when it started updating even though it said that it wasnt saved because it had funny backuped it up but i guess just wasnt fully saved. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Ive searched in the file where the backup should be stored and it wasnt there
coolguy89002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
kip0013
macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. I have always plugged my phone in every two days. It always tells me its backing up and then syncing. I had to restore my phone and it only had a backup from July of this year. I can not find any other back ups. Please Help

IPhone 4 with 4.2.1 itunes 10.1
kip0013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:03 PM   #3
kip0013
macrumors newbie

Try this site. It worked for me to be able to backup again. Although all my other data is lost for good.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
kip0013
macrumors newbie

good luck
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip0013 View Post
I have a similar problem. I have always plugged my phone in every two days. It always tells me its backing up and then syncing. I had to restore my phone and it only had a backup from July of this year. I can not find any other back ups. Please Help

IPhone 4 with 4.2.1 itunes 10.1
If you open iTunes prefs and look under the devices tab, what is shown under the "Device Backups" column?
JamesMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
lovinglife
macrumors newbie

Dude, that totallly sucks. If it backed up from way back when, chances are it probably doesn't have a newer backup.... You should get a zip drive or something to prevent this from happening in the future...
lovinglife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:09 PM   #7
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy89002 View Post
So i have quite the dilemma here. I had saved my backups to my laptop, but the laptop wire was chewed by my dog and that computer couldnt be used anymore. So i decided to update to iOS 4 on my Windows Desktop computer. I have never saved any backups to this computer. I clicked the update button on Itunes thinking that it will back it up for me and it showed that it was, until the very end when it said that 'The backup could not be saved on your computer' which i clicked okay to and the updated kept going on. I thought that messages, and contacts, and notes would not be deleted when updating and i didnt care about the music and the photos because there wasnt much. BUT was i wrong or what, after the update it showed it was restoring my phone and loading the previous backup. When the update was completed, i lost EVERYTHING on it. Losing the text messages definetly hurt the most. Is there a way to find the backup from when it started updating even though it said that it wasnt saved because it had funny backuped it up but i guess just wasnt fully saved. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Ive searched in the file where the backup should be stored and it wasnt there
If you had your contacts synced on the computer in Outlook, or to a webmail service like Gmail, you can resync them to your phone using iTunes.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglife View Post
Dude, that totallly sucks. If it backed up from way back when, chances are it probably doesn't have a newer backup.... You should get a zip drive or something to prevent this from happening in the future...
A zip drive.
Do those still exist?
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:59 PM   #9
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
A zip drive.
Do those still exist?
I doubt it. I had one once, and don't remember how much they held, but I bet it wasn't enough for an iPhone backup.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
I doubt it. I had one once, and don't remember how much they held, but I bet it wasn't enough for an iPhone backup.
Lol
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting