Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:40 PM   #1
jalpert
macrumors 6502

iPhone4: Screen Turning On While On Call; Light Sensor Issue?

I've had iPhones since gen1. On my new iPhone 4 the screen keeps turning on while I am on the phone and my check activates speakerphone. Anyone else having this issue or maybe I'm having a problem with the light sensor. If I adjust the phone slightly the screen goes off again. Maybe I just need to get used to the new design but I wanted some input. Thanks.
jalpert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
don pianta
macrumors regular

when i upgraded to 4.0 on my 3gs the exact opposite thing happened to me... the screen would turn off and then would NOT turn back on unless i pressed the sleep/wake button multiple times
don pianta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:00 PM   #3
L934
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue, my ear keeps pressing the loud speaker its really troublesome, Hopefully an update for this annoying problem soon.
L934 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
phairphan
macrumors 6502

This just happened to me yesterday. My face managed to mute my mother. Took a while to figure out what was going on; I thought it was just AT&T acting up. By the time I figured it out she had already hung up. Apple needs to work on this. And by work on this I mean find an IRL way to do this. I'd pay handsomely to be able to mute my mother on command.
phairphan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Matutu
macrumors member

Im also really suffering from this . Think ill wait a few weeks and just exchange the phone for another lol hopefully with all these bugs sorted!
Matutu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 04:21 PM   #6
dtsolar
macrumors newbie

hang ups and muting

my iphone 4 periodically mutes calls and ends calls simply from my cheek touching the screen. this is obviously a software issue that needs a patch. as if the wonderful at&t service didn't have enough drop calls and reception problems...
dtsolar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 04:24 PM   #7
kickpush
macrumors member

Ditto here, it's really annoying - and now you when you press the lock button it hangs up the phone instead of locking the screen (why mess with a good thing?). I love my iPhone 4 but I'm slowly becoming irritated....

and no i don't want to use my headset.
kickpush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 04:50 PM   #8
sheppy1
macrumors 6502a

Try removing your screen protector if yiu have one, I was having this problem but it went away once I removed the screen protector, seems it must have been interfeiring with the proximity sensor
Old Jul 2, 2010, 04:52 PM   #9
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Is this an iPhone 4 only issue or are you guys also experiencing it on the 3Gs?

Please report any bugs to Apple here http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html [yes, they actually do read them]
Old Jul 2, 2010, 06:55 PM   #10
thenumbersrbad
macrumors 6502

i had this issue one of the first few nights that i had my phone (got my phone on the 29th) and today the 2nd i had my cheek hit the speaker button...and i was annoyed by this also, and i think it would drain more battery if the screen is on, and then i have used my phone a few times later today and it seems to a hit or miss thing.

if i was to take the phone back to the apple store are they going to give me a brand new phone or what?
thenumbersrbad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Hellishness
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenumbersrbad View Post
i had this issue one of the first few nights that i had my phone (got my phone on the 29th) and today the 2nd i had my cheek hit the speaker button...and i was annoyed by this also, and i think it would drain more battery if the screen is on, and then i have used my phone a few times later today and it seems to a hit or miss thing.

if i was to take the phone back to the apple store are they going to give me a brand new phone or what?
Probably, but even if it is refurbished, it's better than new (IMO).

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone