Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stohr

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Northern NJ
Is there any current timeframe on when there will be a Jailbreak available for the iPhone4? After getting it, I realized how desperately I need to be Jailbroken!

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I need JB so much that I'm still using my 3G even though I received my i4 yesterday.
Waiting until something comes out for the i4.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Yeah no kidding. I hate using an iphone that's not jailbroken. I could care less about the new op software, as JB did everything I needed, I just wanted the new hardware.

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Looks like geohot is NOT going to be releasing anything.
twitter.com/geohot

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
When it's ready it's ready. Dev-team accepts no money. Geohotz takes donations but I promise most just take and don't pay. Those are the two main dev's. There are only a handful of people that have the skill and the talent. Also most jailbroken apps are not supporting 4.0 yet so you will just screw your phone up.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Looks like geohot is NOT going to be releasing anything.

There is a difference between him having no plans for a jailbreak and him having plans not to jailbreak. He's already said he has an exploit. I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least share that exploit with someone else, like he did with the previous ultrasn0w exploit. He mentioned something about keeping an eye on Spirit the other day; perhaps he's working with Comex?

Also most jailbroken apps are not supporting 4.0 yet so you will just screw your phone up.

Many of the most useful jailbreak apps have been updated for 4.0, including SBSettings. Winterboard has not yet been updated, but that's understandable as it makes so many changes to things that have changed in 4.0. There's a compatibility spreadsheet here. About 43% of reported apps work.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Just by way of interest, what JB features do you all need so much? I've JB'en my 3GS and i only did that so that I could use ultrasn0w to unlock it.

I'm not gonna be getting an iPhone 4 until october time, so hopefully by then all will be good.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Just by way of interest, what JB features do you all need so much? I've JB'en my 3GS and i only did that so that I could use ultrasn0w to unlock it.

I'm not gonna be getting an iPhone 4 until october time, so hopefully by then all will be good.

Pesonally i need the google voice app, 3g unrestrictor, bitesms, lockinfo, etc.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008

Pesonally i need the google voice app, 3g unrestrictor, bitesms, lockinfo, etc.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

SBSettings is my most-used jailbreak app. I also need access to the file system and the ability to download files. I like Five Icon Dock. And I use Music Controls for full AVRCP support. 3G Unrestrictor gets me large iTunes downloads and high-quality streaming audio over 3G. A ranked list:

1) SBSettings (One-touch access to frequently-used settings)
2) iFile (Complete file system browser for iPhone)
3) Safari Download Manager
4) Five Icon Dock
5) Music Controls
6) Mobile Terminal
7) User Agent Faker (Allows me to view full versions of some sites)
8) Open SSH (File transfer and remote access)
9) AT&T Carrier Logo
10) Flashlight (automatically adjusts brightness, unlike any App store flashlight app)

stohr

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Northern NJ

well, just a few

SBSettings- Easiest way to switch things
QuickReplySMS- Need this the most
3G Unrestrictor- YouTube Full Quality / FaceTime?
ProSwitcher and Backgrounder (iOS4 Backgrounding SUCKS)

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I'm on the edge of my seat as well. I need to jailbreak my iPhone 4 right now.

I have had mine sitting here all day and I havent activated yet because I want to JB it. I know its dumb because the wait is indefinite, but I will miss the JB features big time.

Can I live without them? Sure...but the phone just isnt as good without JBing.

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
Although the new ip4 is great it still feels like half a phone without certain jailbreak apps. I miss sbsettings, 3g unrestrictor, winterboard, ifile and installous so much.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I have had mine sitting here all day and I havent activated yet because I want to JB it. I know its dumb because the wait is indefinite, but I will miss the JB features big time.

Can I live without them? Sure...but the phone just isnt as good without JBing.

Agreed. I'm just dealing with it for now until we here some news (and also because it's the only cell phone I have).

btdvox

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
On the Jailbreak timeframe they state 2 months, but on alot of articles they state within the first week a jailbreak should be out. Lets hope for the latter!

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
There is a difference between him having no plans for a jailbreak and him having plans not to jailbreak.

I'm not sure how the following statement could be misinterpreted.

"No plans for new jailbreak. Stop asking"

geohot is an arrogant SOB who gets his jollies from people worshiping him (which some of the posts are) and asking when he'll release a jb, as if he's the only one capable doing this. He makes these posts to jerk people around. The sooner he disappears from the jb scene, the better.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
"No plans for new jailbreak. Stop asking"

Like when politicians say they have "No plans to run for President"? The only thing that is definite in that statement is that he wants people to stop pestering him.

Also? I think your anger at Geohot is really uncalled for. He may be arrogant and an attention whore, but remember that he's just a kid...a kid who's been in the spotlight too long. Give him a break. And I love the Dev-Team as much as anyone, but even they will give Geohot props for his skills. He was responsible for the exploits behind every 3.0 unlock (yes, including ultrasn0w through .92) and for much of the reverse-engineering behind all our unlocks.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Interesting stuff....

I hope these guys provide a JB for the iPhone 4 soon...I'm a lost sole without it!

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Although I am itching for a jailbreak as well, I hope they hold off a bit longer. Inevitably, Apple will be releasing some kind of firmware update to address the reception problems (assuming it CAN be corrected via software).

If that update does come out, it pretty much will be a NEEDED update, so I would rather wait and jailbreak that than risk Apple patching a released jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.