Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
newt2mac
macrumors member

AppleTv and now... IPAD

so, ive had an appletv for a few years and converted my whole dvd library via handbrake using the APPLETV preset. Also converted some avis using visualhub and the appletv preset. Now, with my new ipad, it looks like i have to reencode. Can I reencode from my already encoded file or do i have to use the original?
newt2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
gkarris
macrumors 604

Doesn't it look fine on an iPad?

If not, I'd use the original unless your re-encoding to a lower quality version.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2mac View Post
so, ive had an appletv for a few years and converted my whole dvd library via handbrake using the APPLETV preset. Also converted some avis using visualhub and the appletv preset. Now, with my new ipad, it looks like i have to reencode. Can I reencode from my already encoded file or do i have to use the original?
I don't understand why you would have to re-encode. I think the general consensus right now is to use the Apple TV preset unless you are working with HD content.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why re-encode at all the iPad will have no problems playing files encoded to AppleTV specs, and if an AppleTV encoded file is good enough for your living room TV at 32" and upwards then it's going to be good enough for your iPad with it's tiny 9.7" screen.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5
newt2mac
macrumors member

i agree thats what i thought, but when i try to sync with my iPad or Ipod Touch for that matter, it doesn't allow it saying format not recognized. but they play fine on my apple tv and within iTunes
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:07 PM   #6
SurfMacJpMtb
macrumors member

My older Handbrake conversions will not play on the iPad. I had to re-encode with the current version of Handbrake. The video codec profile was set to a value that was not compatible with the iPad.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:42 AM   #7
The Mad Kiwi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfMacJpMtb View Post
My older Handbrake conversions will not play on the iPad. I had to re-encode with the current version of Handbrake. The video codec profile was set to a value that was not compatible with the iPad.
Yeah, I was less than impressed that I can play new 720p rips but not old 720*275. The new device should play all codecs from older apple products, sloppy really.
The Mad Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:55 PM   #8
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

What exactly is causing it not to play? I wish MP4 files could scale to any device. I have to have special files for PSP, Playstation, Apple TV, iPod 5G, iPhone, iPad. I just want a good quality mp4 file that will run on everything. I did notice the Zune (older version) played normal ripped Handbrake DVDs with no problem.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:24 PM   #9
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
I just want a good quality mp4 file that will run on everything.
Well specifically that would be the Apple >Universal Preset with the ac3 track removed for sony device compatibility.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:58 PM   #10
newt2mac
macrumors member

i can see it when i select things to sync to my ipad, but after the sync is done, it says "some of the videos could not be synced" and it just doesnt even copy them to the iPad
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Linsky
macrumors newbie

I found that you can change the ending .m4v or .mp4 on some encoded videos and then they work. I forgot which way but just do the opposite of these two.
Linsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:38 PM   #12
Shoesy
macrumors 6502a

I like to use air video for files that won't play.
Shoesy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:36 AM   #13
richpjr
macrumors 68000

My experience is similar to what others mentioned in that movies ripped with the ATV preset play fine on my iPad.
richpjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:02 PM   #14
newt2mac
macrumors member

what about converting avis to mp4s with visual hub and the appletv preset?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Chris Rogers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
what about converting avis to mp4s with visual hub and the appletv preset?
I did this last month with a few files and for some reason they lost the sound

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater