Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
For anyone new here (or even regular members, who may have forgotten), it might seem like the iPhone 4 is a piece of crap from looking at the threads being created. We’ve got the yellow screen threads, the loss of cell signal threads, the software bug threads, the bad battery threads, and the list goes on. What you have to remember is that people are going to come to post here to mainly complain. Most users of the iPhone are probably happily using their device and don’t even know MacRumors (MR) exists. Or if they do know about MR, they’re not going to bother to post on here about it.

Look at all the threads and you’ll find that most people posting are newer members, which should tell you something. If I saw some of the more established members making these posts in droves, I might think something was up, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyway, I’m not saying some of these concerns are not possibly valid, but don’t make a decision about the iPhone 4 solely based on what you read here. Also, give it some time for the reviews to come out from other sites.

So, if you want to get some added perspective, look back to a year ago and read the posts about the 3GS. You’ll find much the same threads as these. I don’t believe the 3GS was an utter failure. I doubt the iPhone 4 is a failure, as well.

My two cents.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
I totally agree. The pro reviews were mostly raves as this being the best phone around (in spite of not being perfect).

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I agree -aggie- My own iPhone 4 is flawless and as of yet not noticed a drop in signal when being held a certain way. IMO a worthy upgrade and a good replacement for my old 3G. If someone was thinking of getting one, and asked my advice I would recommend it.

I have noticed a few bugs in the software, but they should be fixed upon the next release. It's a lot smoother than 3.0 was.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I totally agree. The pro reviews were mostly raves as this being the best phone around (in spite of not being perfect).

I absolutely agree. I have no issues with my phone, can't reproduce signal issues, have yet to drop a call!

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Chalking up another here with no issues whatsoever. Had it for a little over 24 hours so it is still fresh, however, thus far nothing is noticeable other than it's awesomeness.

Here's to you iPhone 4:

Awesome.jpg

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Great post, aggie. I agree. I saw several units on display this morning, and it's a great phone. I can't wait to see the white one in person.

ManOfTheHour

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Laguna Hills, CA
Yes... us newbies must be making all these things up. Or we just can't figure out how to hold the iPhone correctly - O wait, any way should be the correct way and I'm fairly confident that based on the frequency of reports of the loss of signal strength (as also supported by countless videos) and the yellowish-ness (support by numerous pictures), there is a problem. In fact, I have purchased a total of FOUR iPhones 4's, and 3 of them have the problem with the signal drop.

None of the pro's raving reviews mentioned the yellowing or the signal drop if you hold the phone a certain way... I have a feeling if one of the reviewers had these problems they might have wrote something a little different.

And if by spammed, you mean reported, yes its truly frustrating. Now imagine instead of just having to hear about it, you had the problems...

sheaitisnotso

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
My iPhone 4 is awesome.

For those of you complaining, you just need to relax a little bit because Apple will fix the problem. As with any new product there will be kinks so take a chill pill.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
In fact, I have purchased a total of FOUR iPhones 4's, and 3 of them have the problem with the signal drop.

That right there should tell you it's not some design defect that's present in every single iPhone 4. If there is a legitimate problem, you'll get a replacement. I've seen Apple let people replace phones for ridiculous reasons, so they're sure to replace any of them with a real problem. There's a reason they have such a high customer satisfaction rating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.