Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M1K3YY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
So i waited in line at 430 this morning..was one of the first 25 people in..got my fone by 730am...and its still not activating... ibought one for my gf too (we're both upgrades) and hers activated instantly...so now 12 hours later..im still getting this same message, ive tried everything from turning the phone off to taking the sim card out..doing a hard reset, and i still get the same message. i talked to att and they said that everything is fine on their end, and i talked to apple and they said that some activations take a while to go through which is understandable..but ive been without a fone for 12 hours now because my 3gs is also says no signal. is anyone else getting this problem? i asked the lady i talked to on the phone if there is anyway to get my serial number and push the activation through manually and she said no...and it could take up to 48 hours to activate..which is too long to not have a phone. anyone know of any way to fix this?

jambo242

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
What I Did

I let mine sit for 6 hours and still nothing. I drove to a 3G area and by the time I parked, my old phone lost service and my new phone was activated. I rebooted by new phone and worked. Might have been a fluke, but it worked for me.

Jambo

connfamily

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Mine was instant in the store. I was able to make a call before leaving. Trying doing a reset on your phone.

ScoobyVick

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I got mine around noon yesterday and still no activation. I initiated the process online yesterday and it returned a message saying it failed. Gonna take it in to AT&T in a little while here... might have something to do with me needing to port a number over from Verizon

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you cannot get your phone to activate:

Call AT&T and run thru the automated iPhone activation thing on the phone
You will then get connected to CSR who will need to update your IMEA and Sim card number.

Once that is done, your phone will activate right away.

PS: I spent 12 hours trying to do it myself, only took 10 minutes on the phone.

brian540

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I also recommend popping your sim out and putting it back in mine was stuck for an hour and I did that and activatied immediately...

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I'm still waiting.. since around 4pm yesterday when I plugged the (no-commitment) phone into iTunes. I've powercycled it around 15 times and called AT&T 3 times, no help.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
I have 2 i4s, first one I activated yesterday afternoon, took a little over an hour start to finish. Perfect.

I wanted to do my wife's as a suprise and didn't want to cut her old phone off in the day without telling her. Took 4 hours for the activation to "take" - at one point, I tried to activate again but the phone prompted me to a CSR. I was on hold for an hour and gave up. An hour later, after my wife had gone to bed, the activation took over.

I put the new phone in her purse, guess she'll figure it out.

boxster99t

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I'm still waiting.. since around 4pm yesterday when I plugged the (no-commitment) phone into iTunes. I've powercycled it around 15 times and called AT&T 3 times, no help.

As meantioned above, activate by phone or go to AT&T's website. I did my activation yesterday at the website that was linked in my order confirmation email; it said it could take a few hours but should be activated in minutes; synced all my content; turned off my old iPhone, and power cycled the iPhone 4, and it activated.

Had it not activated by the time I was finished syncing, I would have been on the phone with AT&T. The activations are not hung up like they have been in the past with other iPhone launches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.