Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
My mail icon is showing a 2 on it. I click on the mail icon, it shows me my mailboxes it says my Inbox has 2 new messages. Great, right? Click on Inbox and the two new messages are nowhere to be found. Click the refresh button on the bottom left-hand corner, messages still don't show up. Meanwhile I know that those messages actually exist because I got them on my computer. What gives?

aes2jack

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
This happened to me too, but it also happened with the 3G phone when I first got it. Went away after a while.

stohr

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Northern NJ
My mail icon is showing a 2 on it. I click on the mail icon, it shows me my mailboxes it says my Inbox has 2 new messages. Great, right? Click on Inbox and the two new messages are nowhere to be found. Click the refresh button on the bottom left-hand corner, messages still don't show up. Meanwhile I know that those messages actually exist because I got them on my computer. What gives?

This happened to me as well! I have found quite a few bugs with iOS4. One of them, is when the camera is running in the background, sometimes when I launch it all i see is like the animation of the shutter, and its basically frozen. Also, when the "Photos" app is running in the background, sometimes upon launch, the app just displays a black screen, and I have to double click the home button and delete it from the list, and re launch it. I hope there is a software update soon! Also, sometimes I launch the camera app to take a quick pic, and when I click the button to take the picture, I realize that it is still in video mode from the last time I used it, and I can easily miss a great picture because of this.

Mac212

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
NYC
Same here

Same thing has been happening to me as well... Showed a '9' next to inbox all day long, but no new emails to be found... However, once I shut down my iPhone and rebooted it seems to have cleared up the issue (for now).

stohr

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Northern NJ
Same thing has been happening to me as well... Showed a '9' next to inbox all day long, but no new emails to be found... However, once I shut down my iPhone and rebooted it seems to have cleared up the issue (for now).

Yeah, this is how I seem to solve it

shujin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
My phone did the same thing. I found the messages though, they were located at the bottom of the screen. The date on the message was from 1969, apparently time travel exists or email existed back then haha. It is a bug that will be fixed soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.PNG
    IMG_0086.PNG
    51.3 KB · Views: 72

macfanrutler

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
NJ
My phone did the same thing. I found the messages though, they were located at the bottom of the screen. The date on the message was from 1969, apparently time travel exists or email existed back then haha. It is a bug that will be fixed soon.

You have 1300 Emails in your inbox?!?:eek: They have a delete button you know.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
I have had similar issues. It has to be ios 4 not the iphone 4. Happened to me after I installed ios 4 on my 3gs and has happened with my iphone 4.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Glad I'm not the only one. Did any of you guys restore from a backup when you got your iphone 4? I did and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It's a very annoying issue - it's almost like the phone is teasing you with the messages but won't actually show them to you;)

TexasBlake

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Houston, Tx
This occasionally has happened with ALL of my phones with my gmail.

I'll hear the ding and see the unread notification. I'll load mail and it's not there. Sometimes, you'll see the progress bars and the new email for a split second. Then the new mail would disappear. I would reresh again and it'll finally come through.

Like I said OCCASIONALLY would happen. Maybe 1 email out of 500

nobblynoel

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
I had this problem yesterday with my iphone 4. I have switched off Organise by Thread in Mail settings because I think my mail sever, which is IMAP, wasn't happy with the phone grouping mails.
I had several no subject mails too that disappeared after a reboot of the phone..

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
This problem is still happening for me after a reboot. Mail is showing on the icon but when I go into the mailbox, the mail isn't there yet. Looks like another bug for them to fix, though it's nowhere near as bad as the reception issue or whatever that problem is.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm getting loads of blank mail messages from 1969 as well. Can't delete them, but they disappear, only to have others load in their place. I supposedly have 1,000 messages that haven't been unloaded yet.

This doesn't happen with my iPad mail or my desktop mail, so iPhone, it's on you again.

marikian

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
here is how i fixed the problem

In settings go to accounts then account info then press outgoing mail server.
Turn on your at&t smtp server and turn off your primary server this should fix it then you can turn back on your primary server

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
This was an issue in 4.0beta3 but I think the above poster has the fix anyway.

ashokrai

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
I get the same thing. Not sure the cause but a quicker fix for me is to into settings, mail, me, slide the mail slider off the on. Hit home button and your mail should be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.