Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctordowling

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Help!

My screen just shut off out of nowhere and now it wont stop vibrating. I have tried hard resting it and plugging it into iTunes...nothing works!

bdizzledotcom

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
My phone did the same thing, the battery died and I recharged it, its been working fine every since. Not sure what the deal is, if anybody finds out, let me know.

doctordowling

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I drove an hour to the nearest apple store and after a bit of a hassle they replaced it. they had no idea what was wrong with it, which kinda worries me. i hope this isnt a reaccuring issue!

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
I think you picked up your girlfriend's phone by mistake. :D

Just kidding, That hasn't happened to me, but I did have an issue with the proximity sensor on a call a short time ago. Suddenly heard touch tones and pulled the phone away. Selected 'Hide Keypad'. A few moments later, the audio switched from my ear to the bottom speaker. Pulled the phone away, and Speaker had turned on.

Will swap it out if it continues. Have had the phone since Wednesday and this was the first time it happened.

matticus007

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
I had the exact same problem just a few hours ago.
I was using the phone sending an sms. I hit the lock button and put the phone down, next thing I know the screen is black and it won't stop vibrating. It wouldn't let me force reset, and It didnt' respond when I plugged it into iTunes.

When the battery ran out on the device (which took quite a while), i got the screen showing it needs to be charged, and nows its working fine. No one at apple could explain what happened. I'm keep a watchful eye over it.

cryer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
This happened to me when I received a call. A friend called me because we wanted to try FaceTime. My phone started vibrating when it received the incoming call but the screen was black and kept vibrating like as if the call was still coming in, even though my friend hung up (he was right next to me). It kept going and going, so I tried holding down the lock button to turn it off but screen was still black/turned off. Hitting home did nothing.

My friend said to try holding down the lock button and home button together to reset it. I tried this and it stopped vibrating, then the Apple logo appeared, rebooted. It hasn't happened since but that doesn't mean it won't happen again right? Should I go back and replace it or should I just wait it out and if it doesn't happen again then it's fine? Not to mention I also have the reception issue so maybe taking it back would be best considering that as well?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
this just happened to me, hold standby and home button together and it goes off after a few sec, dont know why this happened though

lordthree

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Louisville
My father got the iPhone 4 about three days ago and he had the exact same problem this mourning. Screen went black and it continuously vibrates (maybe like once every three or four seconds) and won't respond to anything. He freaked out and was on his way to savagely beat a genius bar employee with his hickory cane... I called him and told him to try the lock key + home key. It worked!

So far as I can tell this is just a fluke and hasn't happened to anyone more than once (from what I've read around forums). The only thing interesting that he mentioned is that he was attempting to call my mother at the exact same time she was attempting to call him... And I guess the phone freaked out after that. I'm wondering, since some people have mentioned encountering the problem via face time... And face time starts as a normal call... I dunno. We may be able to figure out why this is happening before those nimrods at the genius bar XD. Has anyone successfully duplicated this intentionally yet?

Sent from my iPhone 3G

PBux

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
It started from a hard reset as the photo library seemed a bit slow and un responsive, so I planned to reset it to fix this. The Apple symbol showed then the vibrating started and hasn't stopped...

I'm currently waiting for my phone to use up the battery (full). Reset doesn't work, iTunes doesn't recognise it!

Bad show Apple

llj2kll

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
happened to me twice this week. Both times I just reset it with the home/power button. This is stupid.

KeithDS364

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
happening to my phone right now. Tried the Home/Power off thing but it didn't work. Guess I'm going have to let the battery run down then do a recharge. Debating on taking it back and getting the 3GS.

Has Apple even acknowledged this issue? I haven't seen anything until now when I started researching the vibrating phone.

Annethraxxx420

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
I was told it's apps that aren't up to date with ios4 mine did that vibrating thing too and I freaked and I had 17 corrupted apps they said to back it up wipe it out and reinstall from back up and it will delete the bad apps. Once the developers get them up to date they will not mess up the phone again... So I was told

zeen21

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
I have also had this same problems of phone screen is blank and phone won't stop vibrating!! trying to drain battery- will try the home/lock button thing other people are trying. :

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
Try a very hard reset...

Introduce the iPhone to a hammer or the floor ;)

JK...you should take it to the Apple Store. As soon as they see the constant vibration they should replace it no question.

MisterIceberg

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
no alternative solution ?

Hi guys.

My Iphone just got berzerk, and is continuously vibrating, with the screen shut down. Reboot doesnt work, connecting to Itunes and to a plug doesnt do anything...

Is there any other solution appart from waiting for the battery to empty ?

Thx in advance

swoods93631

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hi guys.

My Iphone just got berzerk, and is continuously vibrating, with the screen shut down. Reboot doesnt work, connecting to Itunes and to a plug doesnt do anything...

Thx in advance

nope...... maybe you can open it up and disconnect the battery, but other than that,.... nope

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Iphone screen off and continual vibrate

I've had my iphone 4 for about six weeks now and its done it twice. Last time it reset for no apparent reason, now I've just left it on the table,buzzing itself to death. The standard reset doesnt work and itunes doesnt see it at all, so I guess its going to do this til it runs flat. Pathetic.. Taken the sim out and looking for a Nokia to get me through the day. So in response to someone above, no, it doesnt seem to be that uncommon after all!

irich25

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Hi guys.

Thx in advance

bring it to the apple store and FREAK OUT!!

and post results of what happen :D

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Take it into the Apple store..

bring it to the apple store and FREAK OUT!!

and post results of what happen :D

Would love to, but I'm in Cape Town, phones not released here yet, and I bought it in Birmingham, UK, so the flight cost would negate fun of bitching and moaning! Waiting for the battery to give up - its taking a while. Maybe the upside is the realisation of better battery life?!?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
This happened to me just a couple days ago. And for the guys who say to hold down the power button and Home buttons together, that does not work. None of the buttons respond, no matter how long you hold them down. Now this is for the continuous vibrating which is what I had, it may be different if its intermittently vibrating.

The way I fixed it was to take off the back cover and then disconnect the battery and reattached it. I did not take the battery out, I just undid the connector. I then wiped off all fingerprints and put it back together and the phone turned on fine. You need a VERY small screwdriver for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.