Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LLL1424

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Washington, D.C.
I am not doubting those with dropped signals/calls but I can't seem to replicate the issue at all. I made a short video demo showing that. Hopefully theres others like me. I am pissed off at the email sent by Jobs though because no one should go through dropped calls and holding phones a certain way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ2jbRUEi1s

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Lick your palm and put it across the seam where the two metal pieces meet on the bottom left, I couldn't get it to happen either until I tried that. I guess my skin isnt conductive enough? If the only time it will affect me is when im wet/sweaty I think I will be ok.

LLL1424

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Washington, D.C.
Lick your palm and put it across the seam where the two metal pieces meet on the bottom left, I couldn't get it to happen either until I tried that. I guess my skin isnt conductive enough? If the only time it will affect me is when im wet/sweaty I think I will be ok.

will i get electrocuted or something. haha? i heard stories about having a wet hand and the phone stinging ya.

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
No theres no charge running through the metal on the outside, it's just to get a better connection between the two strips, tell me if it works for you.

LLL1424

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Washington, D.C.
No theres no charge running through the metal on the outside, it's just to get a better connection between the two strips, tell me if it works for you.

just tried it....same outcome. i didnt have any dropped signals....and i hold it up in the same position for 2 minutes...and nothing. i move my grip on it...nada.

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Who knows, hopefully Apple addresses this other than just telling us to hold it differently. But it never affected me until I tried that.

iphoneguy123

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You lucky, lucky sob. Can you try putting one finger on the top? So you basically have your hands spread out across all surfaces of the phone?

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
It's because you're in a high signal area. Go somewhere else where you have less bars to begin with and do the same thing... you'll see the bars drop. For example, here in my home I get 5 full bars of reception and no matter how I hold the phone, the bars will not drop. However, I went out and about today and there were several places where the bars would consistently drop every time I tested holding the phone this way. One area where I only got 2 bars to begin with dropped to "Searching..." every time I held it this way.

To repeat, a strong signal area may not be affected by this problem, but lower signal areas will. That said, holding the phone normally does not cause the problem on my phone - only when holding with my left hand when I cover both the top and bottom frame and when I'm in a lower signal area. Which means, I would probably never experience it in actual use. Plus, when I was done testing, I put a case on it anyway for protection.

LLL1424

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Washington, D.C.
It's because you're in a high signal area. Go somewhere else where you have less bars to begin with and do the same thing... you'll see the bars drop. For example, here in my home I get 5 full bars of reception and no matter how I hold the phone, the bars will not drop. However, I went out and about today and there were several places where the bars would consistently drop every time I tested holding the phone this way. One area where I only got 2 bars to begin with dropped to "Searching..." every time I held it this way.

To repeat, a strong signal area may not be affected by this problem, but lower signal areas will. That said, holding the phone normally does not cause the problem on my phone - only when holding with my left hand when I cover both the top and bottom frame and when I'm in a lower signal area. Which means, I would probably never experience it in actual use. Plus, when I was done testing, I put a case on it anyway for protection.

I tried doing it where there is low signal as well which is in my bathroom. I have 3 bars.....and my 3gs does as well and I hold it on its left side and nothing happens.

LLL1424

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Washington, D.C.
I tried doing it where there is low signal as well which is in my bathroom. I have 3 bars.....and my 3gs does as well and I hold it on its left side and nothing happens.

It's obviously a wide-spread issue though. My friends are having the same issues and we tested it all together. Only a very selected amount of phones work correctly. I just wanted to add a video to show that.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia

I can't get it to happen either, and my house is generally, 3 bars.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Same here...I've been squeezing the hell out of my iPhone 4 trying to recreate it and it just stays solid at full signal. I don't know of any areas with a weak signal around here (uptown Manhattan), or I'd try there.

Bro Mane

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I can replicate the issue at my house, but not at work, so signal strength has something to do with it.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles

Who picks up their phone with wet hands???

I don't experience this signal loss issue either.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Hmm. Well, it's truly a mystery then. Bridging the gap *should affect every phone the same, at least I would imagine. My buddy got a phone that he says doesn't have this problem, but I would like to test his phone myself.

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Horrible Video!

However, I too have not been able to reproduce the issue. I think I did once, but other than that I've tried several times, holding it several different ways. I even made my hand a little wet and tried. It's quite apparent that this is an issue, but I'm wondering if my area just has good enough service (non-edge)...I don't know...

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I don't hd my phone so that I touch the bottom anyway when making a call but it is still annoying, when I get my case it should be fine

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

This has been my experience. At home, I get 5 bars consistently. So, I drove around, and sure enough, the bars go away. Also, at home where I get a strong signal, I tried the licking of my palm and it dropped a couple of bars.

For me, I usually use a wallet-style case, it isn't a problem. However, Job's response was terse and condescending.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.