Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Got a new 2010 MBP, and I've got my preferences set to always use the NVIDIA 330M chip, and never the integrated Intel one. Just got a copy of Counter Strike Source through Steam, all up to date, and running OS X 10.6.3.

However, the game runs terribly, even on the lowest graphics settings. Less than 10 frames/second. Compare this to my old MBP with Mobility Radeon X1600, which ran the game maxed out butter smooth.

Anybody else experiencing problems?

rbarris

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2003
Irvine CA
Got a new 2010 MBP, and I've got my preferences set to always use the NVIDIA 330M chip, and never the integrated Intel one. Just got a copy of Counter Strike Source through Steam, all up to date, and running OS X 10.6.3.

However, the game runs terribly, even on the lowest graphics settings. Less than 10 frames/second. Compare this to my old MBP with Mobility Radeon X1600, which ran the game maxed out butter smooth.

Anybody else experiencing problems?

That's pretty abnormal. I would start by running it with -autoconfig in the launch options which can be set in the Steam client after right clicking the game title and selecting Properties.

Are you running it on the internal screen?

Mac Questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
That's pretty abnormal. I would start by running it with -autoconfig in the launch options which can be set in the Steam client after right clicking the game title and selecting Properties.
Thanks, I'll try that. Though the default settings were extremely choppy when I first launched it.

Are you running it on the internal screen?
No, on an external monitor connected with a HDMI cable (and a Mini DP to HDMI adapter). It's worked fine with other games before (Unreal Tournament 2004 for example), but I'll definitely give it a go on the built in screen this evening.

rbarris

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2003
Irvine CA
Some users had old settings from their PC client get mirrored onto the Mac through the magical power of Steam Cloud, leading to interesting problems, one of which looked kind of like an a-ha video.

when in doubt, -autoconfig..

Mac Questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks guys, -autoconfig seems to have smoothed things out. Once I load up the game I can turn up the resolution to 1600x900 and turn off motion blur and everything works smooth and fine.

BUT as soon as I went to 1920x1080, the framerate dropped terribly, dropping the resolution back down to the lowest settings had no effect, only relaunching the game and starting back up with -autoconfig fixed it. Oh well.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Considering the fact that I have an x1600 MacBook Pro with 256MB of VRAM I find it hard to believe you were maxing out settings. Maybe in Windows, but in OS X? No chance. The x1600 in OS X struggles to keep 30fps(this is when staring at a wall, otherwise it goes 10 and below in a decent amount of action) on the lowest settings possible at a 1024x640 resolution.

Mac Questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Considering the fact that I have an x1600 MacBook Pro with 256MB of VRAM I find it hard to believe you were maxing out settings. Maybe in Windows, but in OS X? No chance. The x1600 in OS X struggles to keep 30fps(this is when staring at a wall, otherwise it goes 10 and below in a decent amount of action) on the lowest settings possible at a 1024x640 resolution.
It was in Windows XP, 1680x1050, with everything maxed out except antialiasing.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
It does seem like all the Steam games are having serious lag issues in OS X. This is most likely :apple:'s fault and not Valves... but I do hope they work on fixes and improvements to bring the FPS close to parity with Windows/DX. If that's at all possible. :confused:

256bit

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
I dunno... I've been getting okay performance, but as soon as I bump up the resolution I get a huge framerate drop, other things don't seem to affect it much.
On a related note, my fps caps at 60, even though that's what I average on medium res. w/ everything else set to high. Going lower doesn't help. :confused:

buklau

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Also, keep in mind that Counter-Strike was recently updated to the Orange Box version of the Source Engine. Strange performance problems have been known to occur in TF2 since forever (high performance machines performing badly for no apparent reason).

Oddball things like network choking, anti-virus interference and random video settings have been known to trigger stubbornly low frame rates, so I suggest trying everything at least once (at least you found a partial fix with autoconfig).

Mac Questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
When comparing performance you want to be using the same OS, otherwise it's pointless.
Not if you want to point out the appalling condition of the drivers on one OS.

There seem to be 2 types of choppiness at the moment, 1 where everything drops below 10 fps regardless of settings and requires the game to be restarted, the other is the usual my-computer-isn't-fast-enough type of low framerate, which basically happens all the time, even on the lowest settings I get terrible framerates on some maps.

Looks like Apple have a lot of work to do.

swl7

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I dunno... I've been getting okay performance, but as soon as I bump up the resolution I get a huge framerate drop, other things don't seem to affect it much.
On a related note, my fps caps at 60, even though that's what I average on medium res. w/ everything else set to high. Going lower doesn't help. :confused:

I was looking into that problem as well. Seems like valve did something to efficiently handle OSX and it's problems with opengl. You can bypass that 60fps cap using gl_disable_forced_vsync (or something like that) you'll see it.

However, Not sure if this is stable (fps might drop frequently)....until apple releases better software

chachawpi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I was looking into that problem as well. Seems like valve did something to efficiently handle OSX and it's problems with opengl. You can bypass that 60fps cap using gl_disable_forced_vsync (or something like that) you'll see it.

However, Not sure if this is stable (fps might drop frequently)....until apple releases better software

Not much point in going above 60 FPS unless you are using one of those new 120 Hz LCDs or you have an old school CRT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.