Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:42 AM   #1
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Best Buy Screen Protector Install

I am waiting for bodyguards Iphone 4 full body to come to best buy. I heard they will install it for you if you wish. Anyone have experience with that? Are they any good or should I just do it myself. I have 0 experience of course.
freedevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:43 AM   #2
SexyBeast
macrumors regular

I had them install an invisible shield on both my 3G and my iphone 4. They do a good job. I had them do it because if I was unhappy with it, they would replace it. If I did it myself, I would be SOL if it didn't turn out how I wanted it.
SexyBeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:44 AM   #3
UngratefulNinja
macrumors 68000

I had them install mine yesterday. The guy offered. He really seemed to know what he was doing and BB even has their own "install kit" so they didn't use my liquid, sponge, etc. He said they got training from Zagg. I was pleased with mine I'm sure it would depend on who you get though.
UngratefulNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:02 AM   #4
gmikesell
macrumors regular

I had best buy install my Zagg Invisible Shield yesterday

They did a good job and now I'm protected. I'm not a big fan of the rubbery texture but getting used to it. What I'd like to know is if this screen protector will mess up the oleophobic coating on my screen with prolonged use? I've heard of an "orange peel" effect but have no idea what they are talking about? I'm assuming it has to do with what happens when you try to remove it. Is this reversible? I'm all for protection but would rather not damage my phone to protect against something that might not ever be an issue. I never had a screen protector on my 3GS but this ip4 seems like a different deal. Lol
gmikesell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:06 AM   #5
djransom
macrumors 68040

Best Buy installed my Zagg for me yesterday. The sales rep was very cool and she did a very good job.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Krafty
macrumors 601

How much was it? I was able to get a 3GS protector on here since I got it free bt theres some dust and tiny bubbles that are kinda gettin on my nerves.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:09 AM   #7
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys I'll wait for the Bodyguardz to come in. Oh do they charge extra for the install?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:15 AM   #8
UngratefulNinja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
How much was it? I was able to get a 3GS protector on here since I got it free bt theres some dust and tiny bubbles that are kinda gettin on my nerves.
I got just the front part and it was $17 and some odd change and he didn't charge me to apply it. (I see below some people get charged for installation?)
UngratefulNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:15 AM   #9
bobraynard
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
Thanks guys I'll wait for the Bodyguardz to come in. Oh do they charge extra for the install?
My BB wanted $12 to apply the shield.
Apple Stores do it for no charge, they applied one to my 3GS.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:34 AM   #10
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobraynard View Post
My BB wanted $12 to apply the shield.
Apple Stores do it for no charge, they applied one to my 3GS.
Aren't apple stores not selling protective screens anymore?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Cyclone Chris
macrumors regular

I got front and back installed at Best Buy. $29.99 for the film, and $7.50 for installation.

I'm very happy with it. Also getting used to the rubbery feel.
Apple iPad 16G Wifi - Apple iPad 32G GSM - On order
Cyclone Chris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:21 AM   #12
loskickking23
macrumors 6502a

I got it put on my screen and took it off soon as I got home !! I didn't like the way my screen looked... It was the zagg... It had a texture to it... I will wait for the Chrystal clear before I put another screen protector on my phone...
loskickking23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Cyclone Chris
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by loskickking23 View Post
I got it put on my screen and took it off soon as I got home !! I didn't like the way my screen looked... It was the zagg... It had a texture to it... I will wait for the Chrystal clear before I put another screen protector on my phone...
It does look weird.

I would call it the Rubbery Orange Peel texture.
Apple iPad 16G Wifi - Apple iPad 32G GSM - On order
Cyclone Chris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:29 AM   #14
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

hey guys I work at Best Buy and actually put those on, I personally am really good at them, no we did not get training from zagg, however we do have lots of practice. Most of us are really good.
5th Gen U2 iPod 30 GB
fenderbass146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:32 AM   #15
OneMike
macrumors 68040

it's obviously not as smooth as the regular glass, but it actually doesn't bother me. Two days and it's still holding up. Most I ever had one last was like a week so we'll see how it does.
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:12 PM   #16
makefunnyfaces
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to makefunnyfaces Send a message via Skype™ to makefunnyfaces
Do you have to buy it from BB, or will they apply a Wrapsol that you purchased online?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:15 PM   #17
calvy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
Aren't apple stores not selling protective screens anymore?
This is what I was told by an Apple employee yesterday. "Apple is pretty proud of the new glass, and is not going to sell a screen protector in store for it. I'm sure Best Buy and the like will still sell them, just as a money making effort. But we won't be."
calvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:55 AM   #18
macpluslaptop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass146 View Post
hey guys I work at Best Buy and actually put those on, I personally am really good at them, no we did not get training from zagg, however we do have lots of practice. Most of us are really good.
Any tips for DIYers?
macpluslaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:04 AM   #19
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpluslaptop View Post
Any tips for DIYers?
Yea i got a few. If possible, do it in a steamy room, thats clearly not possible at best buy, however i makes it easier. The Steam makes the dust settle so you don't get any under the screen. Other then that clean the screen really good, then spray your fingers with the solution that comes with the screen guard to your fingers don't stick. Also at this time spray the device with the solution. Once you have the screen guard peeled back also spray the stickie side of it. Then set it down on the device and line it up. Use the cleaning clothe to get rid of excess moisture then use the squeegee to move all the bubbles to the outside.
Also if your not happy with it at first, give it a day or two. They kind of have to dry onto the device. They look alot better after a day or two
5th Gen U2 iPod 30 GB
fenderbass146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:11 AM   #20
IrishTiger
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
It does look weird.

I would call it the Rubbery Orange Peel texture.

Yup. I had it installed, and took it back the next night. Rubbery Orange Peel is the best way to describe it. I wasn't pleased. I was refunded the $29 but not the $12 installation.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:27 AM   #21
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
................Also at this time spray the device with the solution...............

never ever, ever spray a phone with solution that is just asking for trouble.. steam room too? that seems like a bit over kill to me, other wise decent directions
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:14 AM   #22
macpluslaptop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yea i got a few. If possible, do it in a steamy room, thats clearly not possible at best buy, however i makes it easier. The Steam makes the dust settle so you don't get any under the screen. Other then that clean the screen really good, then spray your fingers with the solution that comes with the screen guard to your fingers don't stick. Also at this time spray the device with the solution. Once you have the screen guard peeled back also spray the stickie side of it. Then set it down on the device and line it up. Use the cleaning clothe to get rid of excess moisture then use the squeegee to move all the bubbles to the outside.
Also if your not happy with it at first, give it a day or two. They kind of have to dry onto the device. They look alot better after a day or two
Thanks! Wrapsol Ultra is a dry install, but apparently it's okay to wet it. I have a sprayer from Zagg - would you recommend a little spritz (only on the cover itself)? Would that make it easier to position and keep dust off?

On my first attempt (a few days ago) I got 3 dust spots on the front screen, which is 3 too many. I have to do a new install anyway (the back wasn't acceptable on delivery) so I'll try your mild steam advice. It's very humid here, so there's more moisture in the air anyway.
macpluslaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:26 AM   #23
saucy1360
macrumors regular

i'm definitely going to have someone at best buy install mine (whenever i decide to buy some screen protectors). what's the best brand at BB?
saucy1360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:01 AM   #24
makefunnyfaces
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to makefunnyfaces Send a message via Skype™ to makefunnyfaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucy1360 View Post
i'm definitely going to have someone at best buy install mine (whenever i decide to buy some screen protectors). what's the best brand at BB?
I'd like to know this, too. My order was messed up at Wrapsol, or whatever, & I won't be getting it for a couple of weeks, so I'm just going to try a brand at BB for awhile.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories