Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:39 AM   #1
babak
macrumors member

iPhone 4 camera shutter doesn't open

upon starting the camera app, the virtual shutter remains in closed position no matter what I do.

Please, advise what am I doing wrong? (first time iPhone user) is this a problem with the phone or with me not knowing what to do?

Last edited by babak; Jun 25, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
babak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:39 AM   #2
SidBoggle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babak View Post
upon starting the camera app, the virtual shutter remains in closed position no matter what I do.

Please, advise what am I doing wrong? (first time iPhone user) is this a problem with the phone or with me not knowing what to do?
I have a similar problem but with the front facing camera. I restored the phone to it's original settings and it still has the same issue so it looks like a hardware issue. I am taking mine back for a swap at the Apple store.
SidBoggle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but in think this is an iOS4 issue (as opposed to iPhone 4), so expect a fix in the next software update
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:50 AM   #4
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

I had that issue. My viewer froze, especially when switching between front and rear. Performed a full restore and still no good.

Hardware faillure.

Since the Apple store was closed from normal business, I became a walk-in appointment at the Genius Bar and was in and out in 15 minutes with a warranty replacement.

You can imagine the look on the hundreds in line waiting to get a new iPhone and me walking in and out with one like I was VIP.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:00 AM   #5
babak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBoggle View Post
I have a similar problem but with the front facing camera. I restored the phone to it's original settings and it still has the same issue so it looks like a hardware issue. I am taking mine back for a swap at the Apple store.

Please, let us know how it works out for you. I would prefer to avoid going to the store and still hoping it's a software problem, but what worries me is that not everyone is having this issue as I would expect if it was so.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:05 AM   #6
philstone
macrumors 6502

Positive this is hardware - my brother dropped his iPhone 3G in a bucket, water damaged, dried it all out and everything works except for camera - does exactly this, no matter what I tried..
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7
babak
macrumors member

dammit! I guess I better take to the store then
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8
SidBoggle
macrumors member

Quote:
Please, let us know how it works out for you. I would prefer to avoid going to the store and still hoping it's a software problem, but what worries me is that not everyone is having this issue as I would expect if it was so.
Will do. I would rather not do the 80 mile round trip tomorrow morning to replace the phone but I have tried everything I can to rule out software problems. I even spent half an hour on the phone to Apple technical support and they concurred.

I just hope they still have stock to give me a replacement although I believe they keep separate stock for swapping handsets.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9
babak
macrumors member

solved -- it is a HARD problem

Thank you comrades for your advice! After reading your replies I took the phone to a local store where a tech diagnosed a software "glitch" after initial assessment. He then fumbled with the phone for a while and eventually had to issue a replacement unit.
You were correct about the stock: there were no phones for sale, but they had a separate supply for replacement purposes. A man next to me was also getting his phone replaced [don't know what the failure was in his case].

Good luck everyone!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:13 AM   #10
SidBoggle
macrumors member

I also got mine replaced this morning. Great service by the Apple Store and new unit works a treat
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:48 PM   #11
brandonmartinez
macrumors newbie

I've tried many things…

I've tried many different methods found at various sites and put together a walkthrough to diagnose your problem. Sadly, for me it was a hardware problem (I had to get a new phone).

http://www.brandonmartinez.com/2010/...ter-wont-open/
brandonmartinez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:43 AM   #12
moiz41510
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBoggle View Post
I also got mine replaced this morning. Great service by the Apple Store and new unit works a treat
Quote:
Thank you comrades for your advice! After reading your replies I took the phone to a local store where a tech diagnosed a software "glitch" after initial assessment. He then fumbled with the phone for a while and eventually had to issue a replacement unit.
You were correct about the stock: there were no phones for sale, but they had a separate supply for replacement purposes. A man next to me was also getting his phone replaced [don't know what the failure was in his case].

Good luck everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
I had that issue. My viewer froze, especially when switching between front and rear. Performed a full restore and still no good.

Hardware faillure.

Since the Apple store was closed from normal business, I became a walk-in appointment at the Genius Bar and was in and out in 15 minutes with a warranty replacement.

You can imagine the look on the hundreds in line waiting to get a new iPhone and me walking in and out with one like I was VIP.
when you guys got your iPhone replaced, what information did they ask you? Did you have warranty?
moiz41510 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:23 AM   #13
yngch
macrumors newbie

Solved!!!!!!!

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFt0b-CfVrQ

You just have to press the part where the camera is. They say that camera lens loosened out from its mother board. Just have to press with your 2 finger like sandwich and the camera will return to its position.
yngch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:18 AM   #14
jtothatizzle
macrumors newbie

Question white iphone 4

I am having this issue with my white iPhone 4 and don't want to take it into the store for repair because they will not help me for "voiding the warranty" or they will take it and give me a black one and then I am screwed either way. What should I do?
jtothatizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:25 AM   #15
ghostlyorb
macrumors 6502a

I know this thread is close to a year old. But my iPhone 4 from launch day has never had this problem!
iPad mini 16GB +AT&T
ghostlyorb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:03 PM   #16
alon6
macrumors newbie

I know how to fix it

I'm not sure if this question were already answered so...
IT'S A HARDWARE PROBLEM!!!
what you can do(if it's the front camera only) is to do a restore with itunes and set your iPhone as a new device so the data will not be restored.
this method will work because the iphone is stuck on shutter due to the fact that it isn't getting any signal from the camera.
#THIS METHOD WILL NOT FIX YOUR FRONT CAMERA IT WILL ONLY ALLOW YOU TO USE YOUR REAR ONE!
alon6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone