Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
upon starting the camera app, the virtual shutter remains in closed position no matter what I do.

Please, advise :( what am I doing wrong? (first time iPhone user) is this a problem with the phone or with me not knowing what to do?

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
upon starting the camera app, the virtual shutter remains in closed position no matter what I do.

Please, advise :( what am I doing wrong? (first time iPhone user) is this a problem with the phone or with me not knowing what to do?

I have a similar problem but with the front facing camera. I restored the phone to it's original settings and it still has the same issue so it looks like a hardware issue. I am taking mine back for a swap at the Apple store.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I had that issue. My viewer froze, especially when switching between front and rear. Performed a full restore and still no good.

Hardware faillure.

Since the Apple store was closed from normal business, I became a walk-in appointment at the Genius Bar and was in and out in 15 minutes with a warranty replacement.

You can imagine the look on the hundreds in line waiting to get a new iPhone and me walking in and out with one like I was VIP. ;)

babak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
I have a similar problem but with the front facing camera. I restored the phone to it's original settings and it still has the same issue so it looks like a hardware issue. I am taking mine back for a swap at the Apple store.

Please, let us know how it works out for you. I would prefer to avoid going to the store and still hoping it's a software problem, but what worries me is that not everyone is having this issue as I would expect if it was so.

Deep_Thought

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Positive this is hardware - my brother dropped his iPhone 3G in a bucket, water damaged, dried it all out and everything works except for camera - does exactly this, no matter what I tried..

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
Please, let us know how it works out for you. I would prefer to avoid going to the store and still hoping it's a software problem, but what worries me is that not everyone is having this issue as I would expect if it was so.

Will do. I would rather not do the 80 mile round trip tomorrow morning to replace the phone but I have tried everything I can to rule out software problems. I even spent half an hour on the phone to Apple technical support and they concurred.

I just hope they still have stock to give me a replacement although I believe they keep separate stock for swapping handsets.

babak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
solved -- it is a HARD problem

Thank you comrades for your advice! After reading your replies I took the phone to a local store where a tech diagnosed a software "glitch" after initial assessment. He then fumbled with the phone for a while and eventually had to issue a replacement unit.
You were correct about the stock: there were no phones for sale, but they had a separate supply for replacement purposes. A man next to me was also getting his phone replaced [don't know what the failure was in his case].

Good luck everyone!

moiz41510

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I also got mine replaced this morning. Great service by the Apple Store and new unit works a treat :)

Thank you comrades for your advice! After reading your replies I took the phone to a local store where a tech diagnosed a software "glitch" after initial assessment. He then fumbled with the phone for a while and eventually had to issue a replacement unit.
You were correct about the stock: there were no phones for sale, but they had a separate supply for replacement purposes. A man next to me was also getting his phone replaced [don't know what the failure was in his case].

Good luck everyone!

I had that issue. My viewer froze, especially when switching between front and rear. Performed a full restore and still no good.

Hardware faillure.

Since the Apple store was closed from normal business, I became a walk-in appointment at the Genius Bar and was in and out in 15 minutes with a warranty replacement.

You can imagine the look on the hundreds in line waiting to get a new iPhone and me walking in and out with one like I was VIP. ;)

when you guys got your iPhone replaced, what information did they ask you? Did you have warranty?

yngch

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Solved!!!!!!!

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFt0b-CfVrQ

You just have to press the part where the camera is. They say that camera lens loosened out from its mother board. Just have to press with your 2 finger like sandwich and the camera will return to its position.:):):)

jtothatizzle

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
white iphone 4

I am having this issue with my white iPhone 4 and don't want to take it into the store for repair because they will not help me for "voiding the warranty" or they will take it and give me a black one and then I am screwed either way. What should I do? :cool:

alon6

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I know how to fix it

I'm not sure if this question were already answered so...
IT'S A HARDWARE PROBLEM!!!
what you can do(if it's the front camera only) is to do a restore with itunes and set your iPhone as a new device so the data will not be restored.
this method will work because the iphone is stuck on shutter due to the fact that it isn't getting any signal from the camera.
#THIS METHOD WILL NOT FIX YOUR FRONT CAMERA IT WILL ONLY ALLOW YOU TO USE YOUR REAR ONE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.