Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I thought that I would have to pay extra to upgrade my 3gs to a 4, but when I checked apple's site, it said I could get it for the regular $199. I thought only people within 6 months of their upgrade date get the regular price. Someone please help me clarify this, thanks!

SS109

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I upgraded to a 3GS in Sept '09 and I was eligible for an upgrade to the iPhone 4 on preorder day.

Mercaptan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
I got my 3GS on launch day last June too and I was eligible for the $199/$299 pricing on the iPhone 4 as well. AT&T apparently uses a strange formula that takes into account the time since you last upgraded/started, seniority with AT&T, how much you spend monthly, and the 6 month bump. It's not black and white.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I got a 3GS on launch day and got a $299 iPhone 4 yesterday morning.

ETA: Interesting that seniority is taken into account. I hadn't thought about that. I know that the reason I was eligible this time was due to my monthly bill (or at least primarily due to it), but I've also been an AT&T/Cingular customer since 1993. Huh.

pooster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I got my 3GS on launch day last June too and I was eligible for the $199/$299 pricing on the iPhone 4 as well. AT&T apparently uses a strange formula that takes into account the time since you last upgraded/started, seniority with AT&T, how much you spend monthly, and the 6 month bump. It's not black and white.

Ah, that's what I thought after I read that upgrade fees also depend on how much your monthly bills cost (at least that's what I heard anyway). Thanks everyone, I guess I'll be getting it today if the lines aren't insane.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I pre-ordered the 3GS on launch last year, and I was eligible for the full subsidy upgrade for $199/299.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
There's an iPhone upgrade thread/sticky.

You guys are going to confuse the newbies on these message board.

You need to clearly specify your voice/data plans. How much you pay on YOUR PRIMARY lines. (not the total costs of your family plan).

You need to specify which individual voice/data plan you are on also.

ATT doesn't not count text messaging as part of it's equation.

Just saying I purchased last Sept 2009 and am not eligible will confuse the newbies. Cause you 100% were the primary line or individual line with more than a $59.99 voice plan.

I know all the ATT rules.

I'm just suggesting before you guys/gals post to explain which voice/data/primary/secondary lines you are on. This gives a clearer picture to the new/misformed public why they aren't eligible for upgrades etc.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I read somewhere than anyone eligible in 2010 at all for an upgrade, could do it now instead of having to wait until July - Dec (whatever your true date was). Some people view this as AT&T losing exclusitivity on the iPhone and they are trying to wrap up as many people as they can for another 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.