Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:15 AM   #1
LightMast
macrumors regular

How to know if Apps are running in the background

So if an app is in the app tray on the bottom is it running and using system resources? How do I kill it (enter the app and hit home to exit out?)? How do I know if an app is backgrounding?

Thanks!
LightMast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:21 AM   #2
coasterswim
macrumors 6502

Not all apps in the system tray are using resources, no. Knowing whether an app is backgrounding or not would vary by app, but if it's concerning you, hold your finger on the "running" app until the close button appears and kill it.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:22 AM   #3
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMast View Post
So if an app is in the app tray on the bottom is it running and using system resources? How do I kill it (enter the app and hit home to exit out?)? How do I know if an app is backgrounding?

Thanks!
Apps only background if they have something to be doing. If it's a music app, it'll be playing music, easy enough to tell. If the app is downloading something, it may complete the task before going into a freeze state. If an app is using location services you'll see a little GPS icon on your menu bar. etc, etc.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting