Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:51 PM   #1
thecow
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to thecow
PowerBook Fan control

Is there any way that I could set the fan in my powerbook to run constantly at a low speed, rather than having it run at high speed after it reaches a certain temp. I have a 400mhz tibook with a LOUD fan. Would it be possible to get a quieter fan? I already have it propped up so it has ventilation on the bottom. How much would the iBreeze help?

Last edited by thecow; Oct 27, 2004 at 12:00 AM.
thecow is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:20 AM   #2
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
I don't know if there's any software out there becasue I think it's controlled by a core part of the OS or even the PRAM or whatever. Not sure I'd want to try modifying it either in case it overheated.

Tips for less fan operation:

1) Set Enger Saver preferences to Automatic or Reduced, not Highest (not sure if this applies the TiBooks though).

2) Allow more ventiliation and/or work in a cold environment

Not much help I'm afriad. My 12" PowerBook has at least two fan speeds. Does your PowerBook even have a slow speed? Maybe it just has an on and an off setting and therefore you are limited by your hardware? Generally, my fan only comes on quietly after long periods of activity with lots of programs open, or goes loud when dealing with intensive apps like GarageBand or Final Cut Express rendering.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:23 PM   #3
California
macrumors 68040

Have the same Tibook. When I dropped a new Travelstar 40gig 5400 rpm hard drive into it a few months ago, I was astonished at how much quieter it ran and how the fan did not seem to go on as much. I also use a Macally tray thing that props up the Tibook at different angles and also opens to a laptray that has air channels for circulation. The fan RARELY goes on now -- if ever. The Hitachi travelstar drive also runs quieter and without as much heat output. I got it pretty cheap at auction, new.
California is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers