Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Now that unlimited data is a thing of the past this might be a concern I've not seen discussed, do the apps that are now running in background like Facebook twitter etc stay connected to the 3g signal to get updates if so will that now mean we will have higher data usage than we did before? Or do they just start using data when they are opened as the main app being viewed?

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pretty sure most apps are just frozen. Apps will state if they're still live, like Pandora. Correct me if I'm wrong, people. I'm still unlimited.

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I'm pretty sure most apps are just frozen. Apps will state if they're still live, like Pandora. Correct me if I'm wrong, people. I'm still unlimited.

I'm not 100% sure if that is the case thats a relief!

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA
Now that unlimited data is a thing of the past this might be a concern I've not seen discussed, do the apps that are now running in background like Facebook twitter etc stay connected to the 3g signal to get updates if so will that now mean we will have higher data usage than we did before? Or do they just start using data when they are opened as the main app being viewed?

Mmmm i was wondering that too? Dont think Ive come across anything in the threads. Well there are a TON of them lately hahaha.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Really sure that apps running in the background don't have a drain on our data usage.

You can double check on this under the settings, if you go to:

Settings --> General --> Usage

You can view your Cellular Network Data usage and keep a eye on this. At the moment mind hasn't changed with Facebook and Twitter running in the background.

Snapper.

bundu

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
The only apps that will use data in the background are music apps and VOIP apps.

tiresias314

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Based on my understanding, the apps themselves don't really stay "live" in the background, even the multitasking enabled ones. I have numerous apps that aren't iOS4 updated, but they're still in my multitask bar.

The apps that take advantage of iOS4's multitasking will interact with one of the stated features of multitasking. Pandora may run in the background, but that's because it's interacting with the audio background function to play music outside of the app. Only one "audio background" app can run at a time, so you won't get iPod and Pandora playing simultaneously.

Skype may "run" in the background, but moreso like some part of the app will remain idle while using the VOIP background feature. The Phone app has always been running, and now the Skype app will mimic the functionality: idly waiting for calls.

If an app is compatible with multitasking properly, then the app itself will suspend where you are and resume when you return. If the game or app isn't iOS4 compliant yet, then when you switch away and come back, you'll be back at the main screen, as if you just launched the app.

That being said, if the music app has to use the data connection, then it will. If the VOIP stayed connected over data, then it will probably keep checking in with a server or keep a connection alive with very very little data. It's not like Safari is running in the background, constantly refreshing websites and constantly downloading data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.