Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1
meridiusuk
macrumors newbie

New iPhone 4 problem flicker on the home screen

Hi all new here nice to meet u all.

I have seen 5 iPhone 4 demo phones and have a flicker Has anyone else noticed a slight flicker when scrolling from the 2nd apps page back to the Home screen? It does and it's very distracting and I've a feeling it's not meant to happen. Didn't happen on my 3GS.

Here I another link about it as I thought this might be another big problem on the iPhone 4

http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphon...l#post12440944

let see if alot of u have this problem to
meridiusuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

This was one of the first things I noticed about my iPhone 4, but then I realised that the cause is the Search screen on the far left.

As you scroll from the second page back to the first, the iPhone guesses that you are going to scroll another page to the left and one of the effects used on the search page is dimming/transparency.

If you move your finger much more slowly from the second page to the first page, it shouldn't happen (as you aren't going fast enough to move onto the search page).
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:06 PM   #3
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular

Yeah, I noticed this almost immediately as well. I think it's what Daveoc64 said. Seems minor and is something that could be fixed via a software update.
AngelGuy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
dallas112678
macrumors 6502

lol, i just noticed that now.

Ive been having a different flicker issue though. Whenever i wake my phone up it flickers. Last night when i woke my phone up from sleep it flickered then went to a blank screen, then flickered again then to a blank screen again. It did that for 5-10 seconds and now it has this slight flicker every time i wake my phone up.

I can only see the flicker in light (Outside in the sun the light makes the flicker green making it very noticeable and annoying) but not in the dark. Its as if the screen is coming on slightly before the backlight and the image. I'm taking it to the genius bar to see what they can do, i bought from ATT so i don't expect them to just swap it out (which id rather them just fix it if they could because the phone is pretty much perfect other than the flicker problem.)
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Flash69
macrumors member

I noticed this problem also. I am not 100% sure it is software. My wife's 3GS with iOS4 does not do this.
Flash69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Ron21
macrumors 6502

That's the way all IPS displays work. Try adding this wallpaper to your photo album on your phone. Open it on the phone and move it left and right, you'll see the flicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3WbQC.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	233959  
Ron21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:59 AM   #7
rwpeary
macrumors newbie

The flicker was one of the 1st things I noticed when moving to the homescreen, it is distracting. I did try the slower transition as Daveoc64 recommended & it didn't flash then. Seems like a small software bug.
rwpeary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:57 AM   #8
Rhodesy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas112678 View Post
lol, i just noticed that now.

Ive been having a different flicker issue though. Whenever i wake my phone up it flickers. Last night when i woke my phone up from sleep it flickered then went to a blank screen, then flickered again then to a blank screen again. It did that for 5-10 seconds and now it has this slight flicker every time i wake my phone up.

I can only see the flicker in light (Outside in the sun the light makes the flicker green making it very noticeable and annoying) but not in the dark. Its as if the screen is coming on slightly before the backlight and the image. I'm taking it to the genius bar to see what they can do, i bought from ATT so i don't expect them to just swap it out (which id rather them just fix it if they could because the phone is pretty much perfect other than the flicker problem.)
I have noticed the exact same issue on both mine and my girlfriends phone!! i have compared it to other models on the the 4.0 software and none of them do it i also have a appointment with the genius bar to discuss this and will post my findings
Rhodesy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:25 PM   #9
acurafan
macrumors 6502a

noticing this on both of our iphone4's we're testing; if you scroll from 2nd page to the home page you see the flickering.

if you SLOWLY transition from the home page to the search page it's really noticeable once you pay attention to it. hope they release an update to fix it.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:30 PM   #10
vincenz
macrumors 601

This was one of the first things I noticed after getting the iPhone 4. It's not such a big deal though. I don't even notice it anymore. Seems so minor that not even the sticklers at Apple have done anything about it.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 02:39 AM   #11
Rhodesy
macrumors newbie

So are you 2 not seeing the flash before the LCD screen lights up? When pressing the home or power button out side in day light or any bright light for that matter?
Rhodesy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Philip.Mat07
macrumors newbie

same issue

I have the same issue. Home screen flickering slightly when swiping from page 2 to home page. I talked to an expert at Apple and he wants me to take it to an Apple store. I'll post what they say.
Philip.Mat07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:22 PM   #13
ehurdler
macrumors member

Mine also does the same thing. I bought my iPhone 4 2 weeks ago, preloaded with 4.0.1. I noticed it right away, and now a day after 4.0.2 was loaded, same thing happens. Not too big of a deal to me. I noticed it, if i scroll slowly like Daveoc64 states, it does not occur.

meridiusuk if the Apple Store Employee tells you something of special note please let us know. Otherwise I don't find it to be a big issue, just it is noticeable.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting