Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I tried to upgrade to ios4. The upgrade failed so I restored it back to the factory settings. However when iTunes searches for the phone I get this message: The iPhone you connected is not recognized and cannot be activated for service. I've spent an entire day at the AT&T store and on the phone with Apple and AT&T tech support. No one can fix it; they are sending me a new one--but it will take 2 weeks because of a shortage of 3GS phones.

I'm using Win 7 64 bit. I also tried it on my XP computer, but the same thing happens. HELP!!! :eek:

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
I've tried it several times, but no luck. I've tried to follow the directions exactly, paying very close attention to the time. At one point it said it was updating the Firmware, which never happened before. But at the end of the process I get the same message. :(

But thanks for the suggestion.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
No matter what I do I can't keep the Apple logo from appearing on the screen. According to the video, the screen is supposed to remain black.

Also, when my phone is on the only thing that appears is a USB plug with an iTunes logo above it.

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
Power the phone off

Plug your USB cable into the computer..but NOT into the Iphone yet...
Hold the home key while putting the cable into the bottom of the Iphone
Continue holding the home button until the Iphone displays a message that says "Connect to Itunes" then let go...

itunes will state that it has found an Iphone in recovery mode...continue doing a recovery..

if lost follow the steps in this KBase article

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

good luck

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
notmymac
I tried it, but no luck. I still get the same message after the recovery:
The iPhone you connected is not recognized and cannot be activated for service.

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
hmm...interesting...big change in status message from the Itunes Logo with the USB cord...

Try one more time...

First Hard Reset the phone.....Hold down sleep/wake and Home for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears....then release..

After reset is complete try the steps in that document again....

I have seen it take 3X trying this to work..but usually it ends up working

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
I've tried it 4 times. I still get the same message. I tried turning off my Microsoft Security Essentials, but that didn't make any difference.

How do I run Network Diagnostics in iTunes. The article says to do this, but doesn't tell you how.

Update: I found Network Diagnostics under Help.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
When I ran Network Diagnostics I got no iphone found under Device Connectivity.

It also doesn't show up under Computer in Windows Explorer.

The rest of the report:
Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition (Build 7600)
Gateway SX2802
iTunes 9.2.0.61
QuickTime 7.6.6
FairPlay 1.8.20
Apple Application Support 1.3
iPod Updater Library 9.2d4
CD Driver 2.2.0.1
CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1
Apple Mobile Device 3.1.0.62
Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.49.0.0
Bonjour 2.0.2.0 (214.3)

iTunes Serial Number 6E7717F13D8E9D2E

Current user is not an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2010-06-26 10:47:07.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.
WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.
HDCP is not supported.

Video Display Information

Intel Corporation, Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
Intel Corporation, Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

Genius ID: cd610857a5a6403dd835206f95b0b79c

**** Network Connectivity Tests ****

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {78D774A2-A736-4A40-BF01-D42985C71792}
Description: Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection
IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: Sat Jun 26 08:31:41 2010

Lease Expires: Sun Jun 27 08:31:41 2010

DNS Servers: 209.165.131.12

Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: No
SSL 3.0 Support: Enabled
TLS 1.0 Support: Enabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.
iTunes is enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was successful.
Secure connection attempt to iTunes Store was successful.
Secure connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.
Last successful store access was 2010-06-26 10:36:50.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

LowerFilters: UBHelper (2.0.0.11),
UpperFilters: NTIDrvr (1.0.0.9), GEARAspiWDM (2.2.0.1),

D: ATAPI DVD A DH16AASH, Rev SA15
Drive is empty.

**** Device Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService 9.2.0.61 is currently running.
iTunesHelper 9.2.0.61 is currently running.
Apple Mobile Device service 3.1.0.0 is currently running.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A. Device is working properly.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C. Device is working properly.

FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controllers:

VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. Device is working properly.

Most Recent Devices Not Currently Connected:

iPhone 3GS running firmware version 4.0
Serial Number: 5K0166VS3NP

**** Device Sync Tests ****

No iPod, iPhone, or iPad found.

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
meh meh meh..

Okay...deep breath....a few things you can do...

1) You said you tried a different computer right? Guess that option is out the window

2) Pull SIM Card and reseat (donk think that is it...but doesnt hurt to try)

3) Follow this article from Apple (yeah I know its a pain in the ass but has to be done) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

I assume that the backup from updating the OS is still located underneath the devices tab in Edit-Preferences? So basically if we cant get this thing running you are looking at 2 weeks to get another 3GS? Did you call Apple for the replacement or AT&T?

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I uninstalled iTunes. My iPhone is now showing up in my Computer!
Progress?

Update:
Spoke too soon. After I reinstalled iTunes the phone disappeared from my Computer.

There is no backup file located underneath the devices tab in Edit-Preferences on my Win 7 computer. There is a backup from May 21 on my XP machine.

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
AT&T would just send you to us (Apple)...If you do the advance exchange you could have a Iphone by Tuesday or Wednesday depending on if Dispatch ships it on Monday...

I don't have a lot of ideas left at this point....sounds pretty damn defective to me...But the one thing that weirds me out is that it did this after a software upgrade...which usually means it is a software failure...meh..I don't know...

If it were me I would try a few more hard resets now that I reinstalled Itunes and then try to force it into recovery mode again..

Good luck

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
No problem..Wish I could have helped more..

An advance exchange is when Apple sends you a replacement phone first...you take the box we sent the phone in and put your phone in it and ship it back to us...we pay shipping....you are never without a phone during the repair process...

2 catches to it...

1) Costs $29 unless you have Apple Care Protection Plan
2) Since you will have one of our phones we place a hold on your credit card for the retail value of the phone until it is returned to us....the last time I did an advance exchange for a customer the hold was $499 on a 3gs but there is a slim chance it may have gone down in the system since the Iphone 4 launch

Another program we offer is customer drop off...you call us at 1800MYIPHON...we find your nearest UPS store and send them an email with instructions..you show up with your phone (nothing else) and UPS ships it out to our repair depot...turnaround is about 7-10 days I am told but it is a free option...In the meantime you can take your SIM and use an older AT&T phone you may have or go to WalMart and buy a Nokia GOPhone for $15...not an iphone but at least you can talk and text...

Finally, if you directly ask (we are trained to offer this option last) we can make an appointment at a genius bar near you....you take your Iphone in...they look at our case notes and basically if it is set up right they just hand you over another phone......I would ask the Advisor to call in advance to see if they have the phone in stock..I offer to do that for my customers all the time so as to not waste thier time...

Good luck
Good luck man

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
I have Apple Care and replaced a phone once already. The new phone arrived the next day via FedEx. I think this is what we're doing again this time. The problem is they have no phones in stock, therefore the 2 week wait.

The UPS option sounds like it will take about the same amount of time as waiting for a replacement phone.

I have already put my SIM in a Nokia GOPhone, but it's a very unsatisfactory experience. I hardly ever talk or text with my phone (I made 1 call in the last billing cycle). I use it as a computer in my pocket. Instapaper is my favorite app.

As for the genius bar, I live in Anchorage and there is no Apple store here. The nearest one is 1500 miles away in Seattle.

I was at a party tonight talking with other iPhone users. The hostess upgraded her phone ios4 and it went perfectly. She's very happy with it. For me its a bummer, but I guess I just have to suck it up and wait for my replacement.

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
Meh...well that sucks...

I only did advance exchanges for Iphone 4's last week..I don't go back to work until tomorrow at 9AM..I will check with Dispatch tomorrow and see what the deal with the 2 week wait on 3GS's is..never heard of making a customer wait..Especially one who has APP..Thats one of the benefits of having APP..

Of course I can't post what they tell me until I get home...Something about Apple not wanting us to post to rumor site <evil grin>

P.S. I tried to PM you but for some reason the site says I don't have access...
Oh well...

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
I got your latest PM and will reply to it.
If you don't get the reply, let me know by using the send email function.
I know that works because I just sent myself a test message.
And thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.