Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I know that they say the batteries last for 6 hours, mine has been lasting from 5 to 3 hours the past year, and thats good. What my problem is that no the battery olnt lasts maybe ummm... anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes! Does it have to do with me running )S X, my iBook seems to run longer under oS 9. Well this is the second part to my question. I usualy listen to music on my iBook, I dim the screen as far as it will go but it still is quite bright. I sthere anyway I can switch my screen off when I'm not using it (like when I listen to music) I tried stting the energy saver pane so that the screen sleeps in 5 minutes but usualy in 5 minutes Im skipping to other tracks, inserting a CD or adjusting the volume or looking for a sound file...ect. So can you help?:D

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
OSX is heavier on the processor that OS9... Which means your battery will drain faster under X, due to the higher CPU demand etc.

Your music while it sleeps... hmmm I don't know about that one, but I have a friend who's TiBook dims the screen automatically after about a minute of no use. But turning the brightness down on the monitor won't do anyhting for your battery as it's just a transformer resisting a higher current thus making your screen dimmer but still draining the same amoun of battery.
Hope that helps!

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
OS X has energy management, but it is not as refined as OS 9's. You will get significantly less battery time under OS X. Perhaps OS X 10.2 resolves some of this.

Here's what you can do to see if there is a hardware issue: Run the iBook in OS 9 and unplug. Then do something intensive like running a DVD and see how long the battery lasts. If it still dies after 90 minutes, you might have a bad battery. If you are under AppleCare, you can get a new one for free, or if not, look on ebay for a new one. If you get 3+ hours of use, then OS X is the problem.

:D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
whoops!

In OSX while listening to iTunes with earphones and the screen dimmed it lasts 2 hours ( I guess it's good ) I dunno about OS 9, sorry for the mix up...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.