Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I ordered a 12" iBook with only bluetooth as BTO option at the online Apple store. I also ordered an iPod 20GB and a bluetooth keyboard.

They received the money last tuesday, I got an email with a tracking number. The order status still says 'open' on each of the three items and shipping method: 'merge in transit'. Well, you all probably know that it's difficult to keep up the patience, so I'd like some more info, maybe you can answer these questions:

The iBook is fabricated/assembled in taiwan right?

Where are the iPod's made and sent from?

Where are the keyboards made? I have the dutch keyboard layout (does that matter?)

Does 'merge in transit' mean they want to get together all 3 items before they will tell me it ships? Where will that take place? Taiwan or some kind of distribution center?

Est. ship sez 'On or before 11-15-2004', is that the date at which they think it leaves Taiwan (or another place)?

That estimation is with HUGE margins, I hope, right???

Altough the tracking system is nice, Apple doesn't give many details. Any pointers on Apple assembly/shipping methods and locations?

Thanks!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Since it is a BTO iBook it probably will ship from Taiwan. That date is the projected date it will ship from Taiwan to your house. That date may change, sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the bad. When it ships your credit card will be charged and you will be notified that it has shipped and then Apple should provide you will a tracking number for the shipment as soon as they get it.

My keyboard (Older style, White Keys) was made in Malaysia. I'm not sure if they're all made there or not. This is something Apple has stocked up pretty good in their warehouses so this shouldn't take long to ship out everything is going to ship together.

If thats the case everything will probably be shipped to an Apple Distribution Center and then shipped to you. I'm not sure if they do that or not. I haven't ever ordered multiple things from Apple before as I never buy Macs from them because I can get a better deal with free RAM and no tax from somewhere else.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I ordered an iBook, airport express and iPod 20Gb. The order confirmation said that it would 'merge in transit' and would ship on or before Oct 29. Sure enough all 3 items did ship that day. However, that was a Friday and it didn't seem to move until Nov 1 (monday). I wouldn't hold your breath that it will ship before the the date they said, but I hope it does for you.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
MacNeXT said:
The iBook is fabricated/assembled in taiwan right?
Yes
MacNeXT said:
Where are the keyboards made? I have the dutch keyboard layout (does that matter?)
I bought a powerbook (with norwegian keys) and an ext keyboard, they where both shipped from Taiwan.
MacNeXT said:
Est. ship sez 'On or before 11-15-2004', is that the date at which they think it leaves Taiwan (or another place)?

That estimation is with HUGE margins, I hope, right???
I got my powerbook the day it was supposed to ship.
The shipping date is when it would be shipped from the factory (in this case, probably taiwan)
MacNeXT said:
Altough the tracking system is nice, Apple doesn't give many details. Any pointers on Apple assembly/shipping methods and locations?
Whan your ibook is sent, you get a tracking number from TNT express (i did atleast). Then you can chech your status at TNT instead of at Apple

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I ordered a Powerbook and an iPod on October 16th, I got a shipping date of on or before November 1st. On October 28th I received a notification of shipping email with the tracking number.
As nothing had changed on the tracking screen today, I called Apple and was told:
'The Powerbook and iPod are coming from the Far East to The Netherlands warehouse and then sent on to you. Our delivery date is November 8th or 9th, so you should get it 2 to 3 days after that.'

I was hoping to get it this week, I think I'll be lucky to get it next week now.
:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.