Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It wasn't until I realized that my 41.5" 4 year old daughter would have towered over these people that I began to really grasp just how small they were....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its truly amazing, actually. And I'm really looking forward to seeing a reconstructed image from the fossils and see how they compare to a modern human.

And the whole thing with the mini elephants is almost right out of science fiction :D

D

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
You know, maybe I'm just being super critical here, but I'd really like to know how in the world they can claim this is a hominid from 18,000 years ago. I can think of many things which this might be in the modern world, eg. human child, young dwarf, one of the above suffering from some disease that malforms the skeletal structure, possibly just another primate with a similar bone structure. Also, how complete is the specimen found? It's happened before that scientists have made unsupportable claims. I'd like to see the original work on this, and not just the fluff fed to "regular" people, with a sensational little storyline about hobbits and such every now and again.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Kyle? said:
You know, maybe I'm just being super critical here, but I'd really like to know how in the world they can claim this is a hominid from 18,000 years ago. I can think of many things which this might be in the modern world, eg. human child, young dwarf, one of the above suffering from some disease that malforms the skeletal structure, possibly just another primate with a similar bone structure. Also, how complete is the specimen found? It's happened before that scientists have made unsupportable claims. I'd like to see the original work on this, and not just the fluff fed to "regular" people, with a sensational little storyline about hobbits and such every now and again.

Nature is running a special on the discovery. More detailed information is available here.

http://www.nature.com/news/specials/flores/index.html

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
really interesting, very nice from a scientific point of view, but we should know about it in the books, but a lot of documentation should have been burned (no, not on CD), we know about pics in caves where they show how they hunted but nothing about small people? what if it was a normal but pretty small teenager? I like the Ötzi better, no, not DJ Ötzi...

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Unfortunately, I work with a few people who deny that any humans existed - earlier than about 5,000 years ago. :rolleyes: And they are determined that this nonsense should be taken out of the textbooks their children read in school.

Sad. Can you guess who they are voting for?

Kyle? said:

Not super critical, just super underinformed! :D

They found 7 of these skeletons, all of the same basic stature. Their brains were around a quarter of the size of ours, like a grapefruit. The differences are not subtle, so different that some are even questioning whether they should be grouped with humans!

I agree that science stories like this give no real meat and do themselves a disservice when tossing in pop references like "hobbit". The best of these discoveries usually end up in National Geographic or Discover Magazine if you like a little more depth, but great pictures/illustrations and accessibility to the lay person. - j

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A very interesting story. I think the discoveries were made in 2003 so they had time to study this before we all got the sound-bite version in the news.

One report said there is no proof that they don't still live somewhere on the island, although the evidence that they were wiped out by volcanic ash seemed convincing.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
jayscheuerle said:
Not super critical, just super underinformed! :D

They found 7 of these skeletons, all of the same basic stature. Their brains were around a quarter of the size of ours, like a grapefruit. The differences are not subtle, so different that some are even questioning whether they should be grouped with humans!

I agree that science stories like this give no real meat and do themselves a disservice when tossing in pop references like "hobbit". The best of these discoveries usually end up in National Geographic or Discover Magazine if you like a little more depth, but great pictures/illustrations and accessibility to the lay person. - j

They used the word hobbit because the scientists named the most complete skeleton (a 30ish year old female) "Hobbit."

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
A very interesting story. I think the discoveries were made in 2003 so they had time to study this before we all got the sound-bite version in the news.

One report said there is no proof that they don't still live somewhere on the island, although the evidence that they were wiped out by volcanic ash seemed convincing.

The real interesting story would be if they did actually find them still alive. Must have been a remote island that it took them this long to make this find.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Fascinating, thanks for this! This is truly hot of the presses, as well! I'll definitely be following this story as it develops, this type of thing always intrigues me. Hopefully we'll see an in-depth article on it in a future edition of National Geographic - I always enjoy reading those every month.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Q: If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on the planet?
A: They gave some of the apes a choice.

Anyway, I hope this starts some new debate about evolution. Not that stupid "creationism vs evolution" debate, but some real investigation into why some species stuck around and some didn't.

It's just my opinion, but I think the theory of evolution has more holes in it than my laundry day underwear. On the other hand, it's the best theory we've got right now. Hopefully this new discovery will help the research... umm... evolve.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
tristan said:
Anyway, I hope this starts some new debate about evolution. Not that stupid "creationism vs evolution" debate, but some real investigation into why some species stuck around and some didn't.

It's just my opinion, but I think the theory of evolution has more holes in it than my laundry day underwear. On the other hand, it's the best theory we've got right now. Hopefully this new discovery will help the research... umm... evolve.

The planet is constantly changing - so its more adaptation driving evolution. If you look back at the geologic record over the past 800,000 years there has been a continual cycle of ice ages and warm ages. If a species gets comfortable with some nice weather and all of a sudden (geologically speaking, not "Day After Tomorrow") you have a glacier in your valley, you have to get out or die. Same thing with adapting to colder climates, that wooly coat doesn't help you when its well above freezing :D

D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
yellow said:
The latest National Geographic has a very interesting article about Darwinism.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0411/feature1/index.html

Yes, I know, I'm looking forward to reading it, it's sitting on my desk - I still have last month's edition to finish first though! And then before I know it, next month's edition willl arrive in the mail... ;) So much excellent reading and so little time!

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Mr. Anderson said:
The planet is constantly changing - so its more adaptation driving evolution.
D

My problem with evolution is the numbers don't add up. In less than 10^10 generations, random changes in the genetic code of single celled organisms led to incredibly complex systems like eyesight, hearing, locomotion, balance, breathing, etc - not to mention human thought.

That's like saying that if I take DOS 3.1, copy it with some random changes, I'll eventually end up with Mac OS X. Well, yes, I will. But if I could make ten copies of DOS every second with random changes, and then I pick the one that's closest to the code of Mac OS X, discard the rest, then make ten copies of that one (ten children), etc, etc, how long would it take to get Mac OS X? I haven't done the math, but I bet if you did, you'd find that the Sun would burn out long before you got to System 7.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
tristan said:
That's like saying that if I take DOS 3.1, copy it with some random changes, I'll eventually end up with Mac OS X. Well, yes, I will. But if I could make ten copies of DOS every second with random changes, and then I pick the one that's closest to the code of Mac OS X, discard the rest, then make ten copies of that one (ten children), etc, etc, how long would it take to get Mac OS X? I haven't done the math, but I bet if you did, you'd find that the Sun would burn out long before you got to System 7.

Worst... analogy... ever... :cool:

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
tristan said:
Q: If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on the planet?
A: They gave some of the apes a choice.

we DID NOT EVOLVE FROM APES.

what evolutionary theory says is that apes, humans, and other humanoids (erectus, florensis, africanus) all descended from the same ancestor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.