Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thompson11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
So this is the weirdest thing, and I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same problem. When I call people, I can hear them loud and clear without any problems. However, they can't seem to hear me.

When I'm just talking normally, they can just barely make out my voice. If I put the call on speaker phone, it gets better (but not great). I'm thinking it's a defective mic on the bottom.

EDIT: I did a test voicemail with my Google Voice account.

Holding phone normally: can barely hear anything
Holding phone normally w/ noise canceling mic covered by my finger: better
Speakerphone: best

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
I am having the opposite problem. I can talk to people with my bluetooth piece or with the handset but not using speakerphone. I can hear them but they cannot hear me.

nuhri004

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Fix

I had a customer with similar issues and we installed the Zagg side shield on the phone and it solved all the problems. I was skeptical that this would help but it cured the mic problem

ny2nctova

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
Go to apple store! I had the same problem and they replaced. The reciever is defective. I showed the genius and took me 2 minutes to get a new phone.

DCWolfie

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
God damn! I hoped for a software fix. I kinda live in Norway, and we got no Apple Store. Only way to fix my telephone is to send it in to my operator. It takes like 3-6 weeks now when the iPhone 4 is sold out everywhere. :(

farmecologist

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Have you tried calling Apple? I have the 32GB iPhone 4 and have the defective mic problem. I called Apple and they are doing an 'advanced replacement' and are WAIVING THE FEE. Actually, it was the tech support rep that mentioned that they can 'work around' the fee for problems like this.

I am impressed with Apple's customer service!

Edit: I should add that I am a long way away (80 miles) from an Apple store...so maybe that is why they waived the 'advanced replacement' fee.

intensityderen

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
Orlando, FL
iPhone 4 speakerphone mic level too low

My roommates iPhone 4 32gb is doing the same thing, but only on the speakerphone or FaceTime. Interesting thing is that whenever he plugs anything into the headphone jack (even a cord) it corrects the issue immediately. Went to the Apple store and they said it was a known software issue that would be corrected with a clean install to 4.0.2. This is all very interesting to me. I've had no issues with mine.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.