Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
tgabe213
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 - No sound from earpiece

Got my phone Thursday, setup went fine. Took a phone call on Friday. Sound was fine. Later that night, I used my Aux input in my car to listen to something off my phone.

This morning I got a phone call, and couldn't hear anything. Retried the call a few times. Rebooted, same thing. Switch to speaker phone, I can hear a phone call fine.

Ideas? Hardware or software?
tgabe213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Skabaloz
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4. No earpiece sound.

Same thing here. I occasionally use my headphones to talk on the phone and it had been working fine for a few weeks, then all of a sudden I place a call and no sound comes out of the earpiece. I can get sound through the speakers and when I plug in headphones but none whatsoever through the earpiece in the phone. Idk what to do. Blowing in the earpiece hasn't worked. Turning it on and off didn't help as well as restarting, and squeezing the phone didn't help either as stated on other forums. Help!?
Skabaloz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
rittchard
macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, when you say earpiece you are talking about the in-phone "speakers"? If so I'm experiencing the same problem, and posted about it in a couple different threads in this forum.

Seems like a software problem given that the hardware all seems to function otherwise.

See:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...891&highlight=

and

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...356&highlight=
rittchard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:54 PM   #4
rittchard
macrumors 6502

Just talked to Apple support, sounds like a few others have had the problem but they don't know what it is yet. They just recommended I try a restore from backup which I'll do later tonight or tomorrow.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5
ARF900
macrumors 65816

I had this problem with my 3g a year or two ago. Only a full restore from iTunes fixed it and i never had the problem again. It wasnt an ip4 but it might be worth a shot for you to try.
ARF900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
rittchard
macrumors 6502

Just tried a full factory settings restore - no luck.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:47 AM   #7
osti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabaloz View Post
Same thing here. I occasionally use my headphones to talk on the phone and it had been working fine for a few weeks, then all of a sudden I place a call and no sound comes out of the earpiece. I can get sound through the speakers and when I plug in headphones but none whatsoever through the earpiece in the phone. Idk what to do. Blowing in the earpiece hasn't worked. Turning it on and off didn't help as well as restarting, and squeezing the phone didn't help either as stated on other forums. Help!?
Yes, I have had something similar happen today. Was on a call then the sound in the earpiece went a bit crackely and then cut out.

If listen to my voicemail messages with the volume right up I can just about hear something but its distorted. But its safe to say as a phone its pretty useless now. Everything else seems to work fine and if I plug in headphones or turn on the speaker its fine.

Instant reaction is a hardware problem but will try a restore tonight.

A trip to the apple store is needed I fear.
osti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:04 PM   #8
gchhour
macrumors member

Check the headphone port, on my old iPhone there was a piece of lint in there that was causing the phone to think it was using headphones to talk.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:53 PM   #9
osti
macrumors newbie

Done a restore and its still not working.

Sounds like the earphone speaker is malfunctioning as can hear extremely low volume distortion/crackling when receiving a call.

Not happy.

Genius appointment booked for Sunday when I expect them to replace the phone.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:06 PM   #10
edtorious
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to edtorious Send a message via Yahoo to edtorious
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by osti View Post
Done a restore and its still not working.

Sounds like the earphone speaker is malfunctioning as can hear extremely low volume distortion/crackling when receiving a call.

Not happy.

Genius appointment booked for Sunday when I expect them to replace the phone.
have you tried turning up the volume when you received a call? Is it all the way up? Sometimes I will assume that the volume is up but turns out it's not and that I have to turn it up once in a while.

"Excellence I try to achieve, Perfection is 's business..."
edtorious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:37 PM   #11
osti
macrumors newbie

Yes the volume is on maximum.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:04 PM   #12
rittchard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes the volume is on maximum.
Ditto on mine. This is very bizarre, seems like some sort of latent (hardware?) defect as it is happening to more and more people. I originally suspected software as the speakers produce sound just fine on all other apps and the iPod, but after doing a full factory software restore I'm not sure.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:05 PM   #13
osti
macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple store today demonstrated the problem and 10 minutes later walked out with a new replacement phone.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:23 PM   #14
n7plus1

Send a message via AIM to n7plus1 Send a message via Skype™ to n7plus1
Quote:
Went to the Apple store today demonstrated the problem and 10 minutes later walked out with a new replacement phone.
good news...im surprised they have them in stock to replace it.
n7plus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:30 PM   #15
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

We took my wife's iPhone 4 back to the Apple store last week for this same issue. She could hear just fine if she used it on speakerphone, but the sound kept going out on the ear piece. Restoring from backup didn't fix it, and the only thing that would temporarily fix it was inserting a headphone jack into the phone and adjusting the headphone volume. But the earpiece would lose sound again shortly thereafter. So we took it to the store, the associate said that he was able to reproduce it, and within 15 minutes, my wife had a new iPhone.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:45 PM   #16
darylj
macrumors newbie

Same issue - no sound

My wife just received her iPhone 4 today. Phone worked fine at first but now no sound from ear piece and speaker. As you say... headphones work. On the phone with an Apple technician right now. Asking me to plug into iTunes... but I am having to update iTunes and backup the phone...
***update*** Restore didn't work. Phone needs to be replaced.

Last edited by darylj; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:33 AM.
darylj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:47 PM   #17
magicfeather
macrumors newbie

me too

I just opened my iphone about 2 hours ago and after sync and all that, no sound from the earpiece. Nice. Sending the wife to the apple store tomorrow.

MagicFeatherInc.com
magicfeather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:23 AM   #18
NeonGreenHermit
macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my wife's iP4. We were going to call Apple today, until it started working again - 4 days later...?!?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:43 AM   #19
Gallexy
macrumors newbie

anyone else notice things disappearing from their iphone IE ringtones! My wife and I bought our phones on the same day same time and all synced up the same and mine has the earpiece problem and I noticed ringtones that i used to have on my phone that are not there so I checked my wifes phone and she has them on hers! (remember both synced the same) so I dont know just throwing it out there!

Please post fix! Have tried the in/out with headphones and reset nothing! I really dont want to drive 3 hours to take this to a store for them to give me a hassle!
Gallexy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:33 AM   #20
noxtos
macrumors member

I had the same problem with my phone's earpiece two days ago. I did a restore from backup yesterday, which seemed to fix it temporarily. However, a couple of hours later, the speaker dropped out again in the middle of a call.

I left the phone on the table overnight and was just about to take it to the t-mobile store for repair/replacement when I checked again and, behold, the speaker is working again as if nothing had happened. I'm wondering how long it will last.

Btw. this is my third iPhone 4 unit in five months. The first one had a broken home button, the second one had to be replaced because I dropped it from waist level onto a carpet, shattering the glass back. Now the capricious earpeace. My 3g lasted more than two years without any quirks (although I dropped it on a weekly basis ). I hope the iPhone 5 will be as great as the iPhone 4 and as robust as the 3G.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:00 AM   #21
Inspirational
macrumors newbie

What I did to fix it

Okay so what I did to fix the problem on the iPhone 4 when I couldnt get any sound from the earpiece speaker was this..

1) checked that the volume went up and down on the phone.
It did
As I did this I noticed the volume symbol going up and down on the screen said "Volume (Head Phones)" I didnt have the head phone in....

So the phone thinks I have the head phones in... explains why I cant hear anything when I put the phone up to my ear, the sound has been divered away from the internal earpeice speaker to the head phones (Well thats how it would work in my simple non electronic mechanical thinking way)

I tried turning the phone off and on... no change...

Okay what I am about to tell you next wont appear in any "How to fix your iPhone" Manual

With the iPhone on, I pushed a toothpick into the head phone socket. (A wooden tooth pick) and went up and down in the volume button. I jiggled the tooth pick around without much success... Then I scrapped the bottom of the head phone socket hole... and gave it a little soft push... up and down on the volume.... and what do you know... the word "Head Phones" was gone from the screen... phone started working again.

How long ago did I do this?... About 3 minutes ago. I was so excited that I might be able to help some one I got on and registered to let you know.
Inspirational is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:04 PM   #22
Connie'sIphone
macrumors newbie

Fix? Maybe?

I don't know if anyone has noticed this but on the sound controls (+, -, and retangular button) there are actually two positions on the rectangular button. Seems as though you can set to "mute" with that thing.

Worked for me. Simple as pie.
Connie'sIphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:56 PM   #23
GregJF
macrumors newbie

Smile EarPiece stopped working - a FIX

try this old post from Dixit, worked for me

Dixits fix

Regards

GregJF
GregJF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 10:44 PM   #24
Magnusdalen
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb Easy fix for loss of sound on iPhone 4

My iPhone 4 lost sound for certain functions, like playing music through the speaker, listening to a phone call through the ear speaker, and hearing the various function sounds played through the external speaker.

I found this article on Apple's Support page that gave me the diagnostic step I needed to try (see Step 2 under heading "Resolution"): http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630. "While on the Home screen, adjust the volume buttons. If you see the icon below, indicating that headphones are attached, there may be debris or an object lodged in the headset jack"

My iPhone showed that the headphones were selected... so there was something in the jack. I didn't want to try digging it out, because it would likely get jammed in there. So, I got the vacuum cleaner, hooked up the hose, turned the iPhone jack upside down, and sucked the debris out in a second's time.

Presto! The iPhone worked perfectly again. Try it if you're having a similar problem. Good luck!
Magnusdalen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 05:00 AM   #25
rogerbarrett
macrumors regular

Your inner speaker is out now. Try to replace it from Apple or any phone repairing shop.
rogerbarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting