Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Hi there. Could anyone tell me how the iphone 4 serial number format is? I mean is it letter letter number number letter, etc? What does each group of letters or numbers mean?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Serial Number Broken Down: aabccdddeef
aa = Factory and Machine ID
b = Year
cc = Production Week
ddd = Unique Identifier
ee = Colour
f = size

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
Hi there. Could anyone tell me how the iphone 4 serial number format is? I mean is it letter letter number number letter, etc? What does each group of letters or numbers mean?

The first five numbers are not unique. First two are the factory it was manufactured in, second one is last digit in the year and the last two are the week it was manufactured. For example, 87(factory)0(2010)26(26th week of 2010). The rest of the serial number is unique to each device.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
100% false.

I had 9 replacement 3G's (don't ask).... all were refurbs out of black boxes. 4 had "normal" serial numbers. 5 had 5k's.

The ones that weren't 5K's were new phones used for replacement devices, not actual refurbs. They always have to do this for at least the initial month or two of release, when there are no refurbs yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.