Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slyderulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I've been using the Sendstation dock extenders successfully for both my 3G and 3GS on a universal dock and Yamaha Receiver iPod dock for several years now. Never had an issue with any case.

Apple's own bumper case has an opening around the 30 pin connector that is too narrow. This prevents the sendstation adapter from seating correctly. Works fine with the case off.

Additionally, the slightly wider 30 pin connectors Apple sold individually and with the 3G (not 3GS) and iPod products prior to 2009 will also not fit. Plastic is too wide at the base,

I'm thinking the cheaper solution will be to dump the bumper and go with another case.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
that sucks. I was hoping this was a viable option for using the bumper with my car adaptor. It really dosen't seem that as of now there are any options here, where an adapter mimics the shape of the new apple 30 pin connecters.

Applemac85

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Spoke with a sendstation rep

Just an update on this topic. I emailed tech support asking about the dock extender, as I have a alpine x305s head unit in my car that doesn't fit the dock with the bumper on. The following is our conversation:

from Scott **** <********@gmail.com>
to "support@sendstation.com" <support@sendstation.com>
date Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:45 PM
subject iPhone bumpers
mailed-by gmail.com

Hi,
I want to buy your sendstation dock extender but I'm concerned that it won't fit the iphone 4 with bumper case on. I know that your site says it will fit all cases designed for a dock connection, but I'll refer you to this site. According to this site, the bumper only fits a specific iPod cable, as even some Apple branded cables don't work. I know from experience that there is no room around the cable connection at the base of the bumper. Please respond soon, and I will definitely buy your product if it fits. Thank you.

Scott

http://www.cultofmac.com/iphone-4-bumpers-bummer-and-white-universal-dock-adapters/48486

from SendStation Support <support@sendstation.com>
to Scott ***** <********@gmail.com>
date Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM
subject Re: iPhone bumpers

hide details 8:31 AM (1 hour ago)

Scott,

Thanks for your interest in SendStation’s line of iPod, iPhone and Mac accessories.

We have absolutely no idea what the Apple engineers had in mind when they've created the Bumper case. The Bumper case breaks with almost any iPod accessory. To overcome this issue, we are working on a revision of the Dock Extender and a Dock Extension Cable too.

If you want to get notified when it becomes available, simply subscribe to our newsletter by sending any email to <news-on@sendstation.com>. You can unsubscribe at any time and there is no need to worry: we do hate spam too.

Alternatively, you might consider to modify the case with a cutting knife or the Dock Extender with a file. We are taking about 0.3 mm in thickness and 1.0 mm in width only... We know of several several customers who have done that.

Best regards,
Sean Preyer

----------------------------------------------------------
SendStation Systems
Große Spillingsgasse 14
60385 Frankfurt/Main email support@sendstation.com
[Germany] Web http://www.sendstation.com
----------------------------------------------------------

Thought this might be interesting to those who can't use their car stereos with the bumpers or their universal docks. Just a matter of time.

slyderulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Thanks Applemac, I got the same response from Sean...although he didn't go as far as to recommend modifying the bumper in my response.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Per another member's suggestion, I eBay searched dock extender, found this and went directly to the valueoutfitters.com website.

http://www.valueoutfitters.com/iPod...xtender-iExtend-p/ipodiphonedockiextender.htm

The slim otterbox version for $1 more looks better than the normal one and looks like it should fit. There is even a review from 6/28 already from an iPhone 4 with bumper owner saying it works. Comes in 5 colors too. The review does not indicate if he went with the basic or slim version.

BTW, the Sendstation version does include the dock insert and prop stand whereas this one does not, but the cost difference and shipping cost difference certainly make this a more stomachable buy.

If you are in the process of emailing Sendstation, you may recommend that not only do they redesign, but they should consider a $39 or $44 bundle that includes the normal extender, stand prop, and dock insert, and an additional extender only or even 2 for those who also need mobile solutions but don't want additional inserts and stands. Might get more biz that way.

Great Product June 28, 2010
Reviewer: William B. from Snellville, GA United States
I ordered this product because I got a new iPhone 4 with a bumper (case) and my iPod cable for my headunit and my existing car charger would not fit with the bumper on the phone. This product allowed me to use my existing charges and my headunit iPod cable with the bumper on.

bt1988

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
The Otterbox version kind of looks like its put together with tape or something. Or is that just me?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The Otterbox version kind of looks like its put together with tape or something. Or is that just me?

Just looks like a shrinked on coating or something. The basic version is boxy and fugly, not to mention looks less likely to co-operate with an iPhone 4 bumper. But I hesitate to offer any more information or opinion without conducting further research as to keep from offending the rulerz of the kingdom.

bt1988

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
Just looks like a shrinked on coating or something. The basic version is boxy and fugly, not to mention looks less likely to co-operate with an iPhone 4 bumper. But I hesitate to offer any more information or opinion without conducting further research as to keep from offending the rulerz of the kingdom.

:) I'm almost willing to go ahead and order it. It's been a long week of only having FM radio in my car.

if you use code "ff10off" it's 10% off which is like $1.62 off.

Still afraid to order it. :p

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I would only recommend getting the slim version, after looking at the boxy basic more closely, there is no way that will plug into a bumper.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
i have 2 SendStation extenders.

and yes they do not work with the bumper.

But i put a dremel to them shaved off alittle bit and now works perfect.

Realy don't have to take much off.

bt1988

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
I would only recommend getting the slim version, after looking at the boxy basic more closely, there is no way that will plug into a bumper.

Did you end up getting one? Or any other alternative? Threads about these extender/adapters kind of died. :(

fpena

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
i have 2 SendStation extenders.

and yes they do not work with the bumper.

But i put a dremel to them shaved off alittle bit and now works perfect.

Realy don't have to take much off.

tfraley...

Can you show us how how your sendstation look like after modding it to fit the bumper case?
I'm considering buying a sendspace dockextender to do the same thing...
But I'm still wondering if will be hard to mod it.

Maybe you could show me some pictures and tell me how you did...

climb3d79

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
iPhone + Case universal dock adapter

I tired the dock extender and ended up switching to the LYCO Adapter (http://www.synthecept.com). It is a redesigned iphone universal dock adapter that allows me to dock my iPhone without removing the case. I have been using it for a few months and love it, check out the picture of my setup.

Attachments

• 410cb9PvuTL._SS400_.jpg
    410cb9PvuTL._SS400_.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 193
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.