Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Hi Guys,

I'm after one of the protective films for my iPhone 4. But... there's quite a few on the market :confused: (though not many here in the UK yet, looks like I'll have to pay £££ to get them sent over the pond! :p).

I'm only really interested in covering the sides, thanks to the antenna issue :mad: (see my post here on how insulating the sides fixes it). I might as-well stick one on the back too, but I'm not really interested in covering the front so will just bin the front part of any film kit.

Anyways, getting to the point, which of the film kits on the market include pieces for covering the sides? And which is the best?

Currently the only one I've found is the Wrapsol (and the Wrapsol Ultra) http://www.wrapsol.com/en_US/Home+Page/Products/iphone+_+mobile/apple/iPhone+4.aspx which include six pieces for the sides as-well as the front and back.

Cheers,
Ed.

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Doesn't look like BSE has a cut out for the front camera or the back flash?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
InvisibleShield does. I know people like to give them flack for the orange peel effect, and I'll admit unusually prefer BodyGuardz, but I went with InvisibleShield because I know it is thicker than some, and am really happy with it. The pieces for the rim fit very nicely, too.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Hmm, so far we have:

Any more? And anyone got any comments on any them? Though I doubt anyone has tried all of them!

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Since I just needed the sides (I ordered a front and back screen protector) I went with the BSE, it was the cheapest solution for protecting the sides.

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I have a maximum coverage invisible shield, and the reception problems are still there, just so you know.

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
i loved my BSE skin on my 3gs. Lasted about 6 months before it started collecting dirt, but 7.99/6mo isn't bad. I don't thing the LED flash cutout will be a problem, but if it is i imagine like 2 seconds with a small hole punch would cure your ails.

lasteve

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Bodyguardz sounds like a good deal, you get two backs and two fronts. Has anybody ordered theres from them? Any coupon codes?

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
I've just covered the metal band on the LHS from about halfway up down to the first grill (mic IIRC) with masking tape. Now holding it reduces the signal from 5 bars of O2 3G down to 4 bars. Rip off the masking tape and it'll go from 5 bars down to 1 bar.

Now time to order a film/skin to do the same but be transparent and invisible.... too many on the market!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.