Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1
FredT
macrumors newbie

Chaining together routers?

I'm looking to get 12 or 13 machines all on one LAN. Unfortunately, it appears that 12+ port networking devices cost $$$$. Would it work if I were to take a 4 port router and plug another 4 port router into one of the ports, then another 4 port router into that one, and then another, to give me a total of 13 ports (considering the ports taken up by connecting the four routers)? I don't think routers work like that... please tell me I'm wrong. What should I do to overcome my networking dilemma?

Thanks
FredT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
calderone
macrumors 68040

This is what they make switches for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-082-_-Product

You can bridge routers, but it is pretty pointless in most cases. As in yours, where it would require 4 routers.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3
FredT
macrumors newbie

I couldn't find cheap switches earlier for some reason... thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
FredT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:38 PM   #4
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
I couldn't find cheap switches earlier for some reason... thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
switches work great just make sure that you get a PROPER one. if you get a 8 port gigabit ethernet switch, ensure that it supports 8gb/s TOTAL throughput, as some will have 1gb/s for each port, but a total of <8gb/s throughput. makes everything go slower

my linksys/cisco layer 3, 8 port switch has been great to me! some people have something against them but me like.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking