Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1
TaterToT
macrumors 6502

Soo... I accidentally dropped my iPhone 4.

Yep I was walking out to my car yesterday and I was carrying some other stuff with my iPhone on top and it slid off, about a 3-4 foot drop on to hard, rough, concrete.. It hit pretty hard and then slid a bit and I thought it was done for (I didn't have a case or anything on it, still waiting for my bumper to come). I picked it up to look at the damage and was amazed.. the thing only had one little place where it took the impact, and a few scratches on the back from sliding across the rough concrete, I thought it would of shattered or had way more scratches. I'm still pretty pissed at myself for dropping it but amazed at how durable it is. I'll try to get some pictures up in a bit.

Edit: Oh yeah and I've tested everything out with the camera, sound, vibrate, microphone, camera flash and everything still works perfectly.

Edit: pictures

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/img1677a.jpg/ - shows some nicks/scratches on the back
http://img824.imageshack.us/i/img1678d.jpg/ - point of impact
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img1679kv.jpg/ - screen is still perfect
http://img694.imageshack.us/i/img1680k.jpg/ - scratches on back/a few rough edges

Last edited by TaterToT; Jun 27, 2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Edit
TaterToT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
From different posts and reports of drops it seems like it just comes down to luck with how it lands. Guess you got lucky.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:13 PM   #3
wickerman1893
macrumors 6502

it seems when people drop there phones from 4-10 feet they are perfectly fine...most of them have pictures to prove it.

But then people claim they dropped it from 6 inches and it shattered...something doesn't seem right.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:16 PM   #4
SydneySuero
Banned

Im the type of person who couldnt live with a scratch on the screen of my phone, it would drive me insane
SydneySuero is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:16 PM   #5
rotobadger
macrumors 65816

Refreshing to see a post like this!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:17 PM   #6
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Well, the iPhone 4's glass isn't like a glass that can't be broken. It's just stronger. I just don't understand why people expect it not to brake... it just won't brake as fast as normal glass.

And well, for you, lucky you

@pictures
It seems almost invisible at 'normal' light. Nice to see that, though sad you can see it very well when there's a lot of light.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman1893 View Post
it seems when people drop there phones from 4-10 feet they are perfectly fine...most of them have pictures to prove it.

But then people claim they dropped it from 6 inches and it shattered...something doesn't seem right.
it can depend on the angle also.
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:19 PM   #8
wickerman1893
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
it can depend on the angle also.
Yes i know, but still....the glass from people who dropped it 6 inches is just shattered...i understand a few cracks on the edges...but not the whole back panel being shattered
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:21 PM   #9
SiskoKid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman1893 View Post

The story where someone dropped the iPhone from 1 foot high and shattered came from Gizmodo. So beyond just "the angle" of the drop. You may also want to read into "the angle" of the story and the source.
SiskoKid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:24 PM   #10
TurdFerguson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TurdFerguson
I dropped mine yesterday from two and half feet it fell two feet hit the bottom of a sidetable then fell the rest of the way to the carpet. I have a bumper and zagg invisable shield. It made a loud thud when it hit the table but there was not a scratch or a mark! When I got the phone I put the invisable sheild and the bumper on right after I opened the box. Glad I did.

Until the color of man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
TurdFerguson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:30 PM   #11
RafaelT
macrumors 65816

Well everyone has to remember that people mostly come here to complain, we have of a handful of cases were the phones were dropped from a few feet and broke. With the amount of phones sold there are probably hundreds if not thousands of other people who have dropped them from the same height and have had no issue.

The glass is stronger. There is however double the amount of glass to break. Fact is most people will never have a problem, but we will always have the vocal minority.
RafaelT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Juan007
macrumors 6502

Amazing build quality on the iPhone 4. The best I have ever seen for any consumer device.

Thanks for sharing.
Juan007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:19 PM   #13
TaterToT
macrumors 6502

So I either got really lucky or these things are extremely sturdy haha
TaterToT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:32 PM   #14
gaps
macrumors member

If the screen does get scratched, is there a way to remove it or make it less noticeable???

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone