Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wishman35

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I keep reading on here that you just MUST set up your phone as new and NOT restore from a backup to get the best battery life.

I have tried to ask why, but haven't gotten any clear response as to why this does anything.

If you could clear this up for me, it would much appreciated...

1.) I already have my phone set up, restored from a recent back up, and the battery just doesn't seem as good as some have been reporting. After a half hour phone call on 3G..my battery went from 80%-60%.

2.) Do I hit restore on iTunes, and then set up the phone as new... but how do I go about getting my contacts and whatnot back on the phone? Do I just sync them somehow without using a backup?

I guess I just am confused about the best way of going about this after I have already started the phone from a backup.

Thanks guys! :cool:

i-Engineer

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I keep reading on here that you just MUST set up your phone as new and NOT restore from a backup to get the best battery life.

I have tried to ask why, but haven't gotten any clear response as to why this does anything.

If you could clear this up for me, it would much appreciated...

1.) I already have my phone set up, restored from a recent back up, and the battery just doesn't seem as good as some have been reporting. After a half hour phone call on 3G..my battery went from 80%-60%.

2.) Do I hit restore on iTunes, and then set up the phone as new... but how do I go about getting my contacts and whatnot back on the phone? Do I just sync them somehow without using a backup?

I guess I just am confused about the best way of going about this after I have already started the phone from a backup.

Thanks guys! :cool:

Mine doesn't seems that good, it hardly last for two days with less than 60 min of phone talk and a very little browsing

Jblack4083

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2007
I might have a defective battery.

Does apple replace for defective batteries. I just watched it decrease 6% in 8 minutes with only one txt message sent out. Only 3G is on, nothing else.

wishman35

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
People keep posting "set up as new" but nobody has a reason why ... lol

Eeko

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Setting up as new should have to affect on it whatsoever. Doesn't make any sense.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I would also like to know how to "restore as new" after having already done it from a backup...

Does "restoring as new" mean clicking "don't back up" when you select "restore"...?

I don't really care about texts/whatever.. I just don't want to lose all my contacts

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I would run it down completely (use video, check mail, do whatever it takes to use as much battery as possible) before going to bed, as in completely where it shuts itself off. Then plug it in over night. Do this 2 or 3 nights and see if it improves. I had to do it one night and it solved all my problems. If this doesn't work, you have a defective battery and will need a new phone. :p

redwings13

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
I would run it down completely (use video, check mail, do whatever it takes to use as much battery as possible) before going to bed, as in completely where it shuts itself off. Then plug it in over night. Do this 2 or 3 nights and see if it improves. I had to do it one night and it solved all my problems. If this doesn't work, you have a defective battery and will need a new phone. :p

im going to try this also. i had it jailbroken and all of a sudden it starting acting weird were the battery would drain faster then i had noticed since getting the phone. I restored but not as a new phone. Im currently at 20 percent battery so we will see if this works. If the battery were defective it wount have worked 3 months would it?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Restoring from backup is like restoring a computer to a backup with a virus. If there is some setting or corrupt file that is causing the bad battery life, restoring from backup would just put it back again

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I experienced an error when trying to sync after they created a restore. I believe it was at Step 3 or 4 until the error. Then when I tried to sync again, my iTunes for some reason wouldn't recognize my phone and was forced to restore as new or backup. I was worried I would lose some things because I deleted stuff on the hard drive. So I restored using the recent backup and thankfully got everything back. So far, my battery has not gotten any worse. Just today, it took 38 min for it to go to 99% which is a record from what I know. Prev record was about 34 min. I'm still at 94% after 75 min of WiFi browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.