Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vshasta21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Like many, I had the yellow bar at the bottom of the screen. I noticed that it was more noticeably when the iphone was hot. So I went to the apple store and they were happy to exchange it. Now here is where the issue starts...the new iPhone screen does NOT have the yellow bar, but the overall color temperature was much more warmer or yellow then every display model at the apple store. I went back upstairs and showed the Genius who agreed and was happy to exchange it again. The one he brought back was the same. He took out his iphone and it was like all of the display models...vivid, bright and whites look white. He said he could exchange it again, but I told him I would see if I noticed it after a couple days.

So FYI, the replacement phones at the apple store may have dimmer more washed out displays.

If I were you, I would not compare your iPhone to the display models. You may end up in my situation. :(

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
Like many, I had the yellow bar at the bottom of the screen. I noticed that it was more noticeably when the iphone was hot. So I went to the apple store and they were happy to exchange it. Now here is where the issue starts...the new iPhone screen does NOT have the yellow bar, but the overall color temperature was much more warmer or yellow then every display model at the apple store. I went back upstairs and showed the Genius who agreed and was happy to exchange it again. The one he brought back was the same. He took out his iphone and it was like all of the display models...vivid, bright and whites look white. He said he could exchange it again, but I told him I would see if I noticed it after a couple days.

So FYI, the replacement phones at the apple store may have dimmer more washed out displays.

If I were you, I would not compare your iPhone to the display models. You may end up in my situation. :(

Was your brightness not turned up all the way? That's probably why the display models look so bright, because they just cranked up the display brightness.

vshasta21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Was your brightness not turned up all the way? That's probably why the display models look so bright, because they just cranked up the display brightness.

Yup. Both phones had their brightness at MAX and the auto-brightness OFF. These are the same issues that we saw with the 3GS.

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
How yellow was it? Mine is definitely warmer than my old 3GS, but not yellow by any means. I think this is intentional.

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
Another note to add:

Can you tell your phone is yellow if its just by itself? When comparing to my 3GS it seems like mine is warm, but alone its definitely not yellow.

I've been staring at the same style blue/white screen since the original iPhone. Now they use an IPS screen that tends to be warmer... so I blame my eyes for adjusting to the new screen.

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I got two phones on launch day for my wife and I. Mine look much brighter than hers but she said she was fine. However, min has the yellow splotches. I am waiting for a new iPhone to be shipped to me. Let's see hat happens with the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.