Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soh5757

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Soo I had this Imac from 2006 and it finally died "long live my ooh soo beautiful Imac". But anywho, so I decided that I wasn't going to just let it sit there and not get used so I scraped it for parts. The one thing I wanted, though, out of everything is the 24" HD monitor. I would like to turn it into a "TV". Soo I was going to go and add a VGA in, DVI in, red, yellow, and white, and component ( like for xbox360 or something) ports, also to be able to use the mic and webcam, if that Microsoft crap isn't specific on what mic and camera it will use or maybe on my PS3. But I'm having a terrible time finding anything that has to do with the Pinout for this LCD screen (which, just in case, is a LG Philips LM240WU2 (SL) (A1)). The only thing is I couldn't find anything on the pinout for the monitor itself. Along with that, I'm not sure of how much power goes into the monitor, considering the power supply of the Imac goes into the logicboard then into the monitor.

Ooh, on a side note, I planed on using the speakers as well case for each side it has two speakers. So they would have worked nice, which isn't a problem because I would just go and grab a old pair of speakers and take the motherboard inside to control the loudness.
:apple: = love

Soh5757

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Oooh, thank you. I don't know how you found this but this just saved my life =]. Ooh and sorry about how I wrote it. I'm horrible at spelling and grammar. I went back and fixed the errors though. Thanks for pointing it out for me =]
:apple: = love

Soh5757

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Soo, my next question, how would I go around putting a VGA, DVI, component and or HDMI port on the monitor? If I could just get VGA I would be happy but, I only know the basics on what I'm doing. There are signals that the documents has that I don't know what would go into it. Say I want to be able to connect my 360 to this screen. And I'm using the component cable (sound (left,right) green, blue, and red). What data output would I use and where on the monitors input?

2005CTS

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
2006 iMac already dead?

Am I the only one that sees this as a strange and bad thing - that a four year old computer would die? I have only had two computers - both PC's an IBM that we gave away after 8 years and my current PC a Gateway that is six years old and still working. We are in the market for an iMac and have been waiting for the refresh due any day now. But to hear of a 2006 iMac that has "died" is concerning in terms of quality and longevity of a desk top computer.

I do not want to be buying a computer ever four years...is this typical of a Mac?

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Am I the only one that sees this as a strange and bad thing - that a four year old computer would die? I have only had two computers - both PC's an IBM that we gave away after 8 years and my current PC a Gateway that is six years old and still working. We are in the market for an iMac and have been waiting for the refresh due any day now. But to hear of a 2006 iMac that has "died" is concerning in terms of quality and longevity of a desk top computer.

I do not want to be buying a computer ever four years...is this typical of a Mac?

No, I dont think so. There's a lot of people who still have fully functioning 2006 iMacs, and I'm such person.

In fact, I'm posting on an Early 2006 iMac - it's older than the OPs. On top of that, I don't use this machine lightly. It's on 24/7 and running apps like XCode and Photoshop plus multiple terminals and Chrome tabs (and other miscellaneous applications :p).

Soh5757

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Ooh no, Mac's are good. Really I could fix the computer, but my parents wanted to get a mac laptop instead, and I didn't need a computer so I used it for parts. Talk about lasting a long time, I get computers from my school all the time, the oldest one I got was Macintosh 128k, made in 1984. It still runs to this day lol.

desertrat2010

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
I've got a 24" iMac that I bought on Thanksgiving of 2006. I also got AppleCare, AppleOne, and something else. The sales guys said the AppleCare would EXTEND the initial 1-yr warranty by 3 years, so I'd have 4 years of coverage.

Well, after no problems for 4 years, two weeks ago it started doing weird things.The video started doing strange stuff, it started freezing up, then it just refused to boot up.

I took it into Apple, and they said the AppleCare expired a year ago. I was apparently "mis-informed" about the fact that it "extended" the initial warranty.

Without doing a detailed diagnostic on it, they said it's either the logic board, the video card, or both. Either way, it'll cost up to $1000 to repair it. No thanks!

The iMac is survived by a 6-yr old Dell Inspiron 9300. I miss my iMac :(

-David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.