Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
So we finally figured out how to do everything in imovie. added music, text, transitions everything is working great but it crashes on export everytime. doesnt matter what size export you choose. the movie is 4 minutes long. I have tried restarting the phone doesnt matter still crashes to the homescreen. any ideas?

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
So we finally figured out how to do everything in imovie. added music, text, transitions everything is working great but it crashes on export everytime. doesnt matter what size export you choose. the movie is 4 minutes long. I have tried restarting the phone doesnt matter still crashes to the homescreen. any ideas?

I had the same problem but a reinstall then restart fixed mine. Give it a try.

CodeBleu

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Since I'm a Windows user, I had an approach in my arsenal you may not have considered.

1) Go to the home screen.
2) Hold down the home button until the task switcher is displayed on the bottom.
3) Press and hold on the first app in the list until they start dancing with X badges on them.
4) Click the X's to close every single running app.
5) Press and hold the sleep/wake button on the top of the phone to get it to prompt you if you'd like to completely shutdown.
6) Slide the slider to indicate you want to shutdown.
7) When the screen turns off, press and hold the sleep/wake button until you see the Apple logo.
8) When the phone finishes starting, attempt to export your movie again.

You will likely be surprised to see that it works again. =)

Kamilla

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
a fix for iMovie Crashing

I have been having the same problem and spoke today with a rep from Apple Care. Here's what he told me. Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it or to do whatever you were doing when it crashed (selecting Titles below a certain row in the Titles window made mine crash as well as exporting). If you do these things and iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project. (Although the rep wouldn't say so, iMovie is causing the corrupting--and the problem lies with the titles--more on this below.) Just having a corrupted project in the Project Library will make the program crash, even if you are working on a new project. You have to rebuild your file piece by piece, seeing if it exports after each addition to see if the new addition is causing the problem (choose tiny movie because it's quicker). I managed to retrieve all the edited video plus transitions by clicking on a film clip in the corrupted project and selecting all and copying it and importing into a new project (though in between, I had to open and close iMovie to drag that corrupted project back to the desktop because it kept crashing). I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles. When I tried to add it back to the rebuilt project, it crashed; when I went to the old file that was corrupted and tried to delete that title, it crashed. When I tried to delete the clip that had that title on it in the old project, it crashed. The transitions I used worked fine (though not sure if all of them would). Music, photos, film clips, etc. all fine. The problem lies with iMovie and it needs a fix! But I was able to rebuild my project--minus the style of title I like--and export it using this method.

GaleGore

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
I've been having the same drama with Exporting movie after adding the specific title 'Organic Main'. Even though this thread is well old, thought I'd post in case anyone else stumbles here like I did.
What worked for me was to simply highlight the title (individually) and then delete it. Once you delete one of them, close/exit from iMovie. Then re-open it again and delete another 1 example of the Organic Main, close and repoen. This does not allow the title to crash to whole program if handled little by little like this and I've not been able to successfully export my little home movie. Maybe this helps your specific problem, I hope so. I've no further advice on the massive crash every time issue many posters are having since upgrading to 9.06. Best of luck with that everyone ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.