Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1
babidol
macrumors newbie

Exclamation 1st grey screen of death, now 5 day permissions repair??

i have a 15" Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 with 1.5 GHz Power PC Processor and 2 GB RAM. I just replaced the original 80g hd with a 300 hd because the original crashed. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I started getting the dreaded Grey Screen Of Death while working in Photoshop. It happened 4 times in about an hour and a half.

This happened once before and I remembered running Disk Permissions Repair through the Disk Utility, and I verified it again on this forum site. So I decided to run the permissions repair again. It has been running for 5 days and the progress bar is still only half way. It hasn't frozen because I am watching the details and the files keep scrolling, but isn't it weird that it is taking so long? Am I going to do more damage than good by letting this run? Will it fix my problem? Should I let it keep running for another 5 days or do I stop it and try something else? Please will someone who know more than me HELP!!! Thanks in advance!
babidol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:44 PM   #2
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Ok, first I would cancel that permissions repair. Then I would take out the Leopard install disk and boot from it. Go to Utilities>Disk Utility and then run Repair Disk to see if that fixes the problem.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:43 AM   #3
RELOAD911
macrumors newbie

Is it possible that something is altering permissions on the go? Maybe you should reboot and try running repair again. Or even run it in safe mode.
RELOAD911 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:45 AM   #4
666sheep
macrumors 68040

Forget about repairing permissions. Just use Verify/Repair disk in DU.
If it'll be OK, check your RAM with memtest (multiple pass, not once) or simply remove one of sticks and see if issue will persist.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs