Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babidol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
i have a 15" Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 with 1.5 GHz Power PC Processor and 2 GB RAM. I just replaced the original 80g hd with a 300 hd because the original crashed. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I started getting the dreaded Grey Screen Of Death while working in Photoshop. It happened 4 times in about an hour and a half.

This happened once before and I remembered running Disk Permissions Repair through the Disk Utility, and I verified it again on this forum site. So I decided to run the permissions repair again. It has been running for 5 days and the progress bar is still only half way. It hasn't frozen because I am watching the details and the files keep scrolling, but isn't it weird that it is taking so long? Am I going to do more damage than good by letting this run? Will it fix my problem? Should I let it keep running for another 5 days or do I stop it and try something else? Please will someone who know more than me HELP!!! Thanks in advance!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ok, first I would cancel that permissions repair. Then I would take out the Leopard install disk and boot from it. Go to Utilities>Disk Utility and then run Repair Disk to see if that fixes the problem.

RELOAD911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Is it possible that something is altering permissions on the go? Maybe you should reboot and try running repair again. Or even run it in safe mode.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Forget about repairing permissions. Just use Verify/Repair disk in DU.
If it'll be OK, check your RAM with memtest (multiple pass, not once) or simply remove one of sticks and see if issue will persist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.