Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
orthoreed
macrumors newbie

Unusual lock symbol on iPhone 4 title bar

Please help me to discover what the symbol is, and how to turn it off, on my main screen title bar. Next to the Bluetooth and battery symbols is a lock with a curved arrow around it. It looks like the curved arrow around my home Mac time machine symbol.
Does anyone know what this is for?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Orthoreed
orthoreed is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
ianray
macrumors 6502

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=730946. Sometimes it's worth using google or mroogle to search the forums before posting
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:47 AM   #3
FeliceMaxine
macrumors newbie

Lock symbol with a circular arrow around it on iPhone status bar

A padlock with a circular arrow around it in the status bar at the top the screen means that the phone is locked to portrait mode and will not rotate to landscape mode . This can be turned on and off by double clicking home so that your open apps are displayed then swiping these icons to the right until your iPod contols appear (it will be all the way to the left in your open apps), you should see an icon with a circular arrow. This icon is a toggle to lock and unlock your screen rotation.
FeliceMaxine is offline   9
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:24 PM   #4
melterx12
macrumors 6502a

melterx12 is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:33 PM   #5
TM-Seattle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianray View Post
See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=730946. Sometimes it's worth using google or mroogle to search the forums before posting
I found my answer there, but had to red thru a lot of trash to get the answer. It is there. Thanks to "FeliceMaxine for answering it clearly, in such a way that someone searching the forum can find the answer!

Here is more info, with an image specific to this issue.

=====================

For those trying to figure out how to "Unlock iPhone screen rotation". With IOS4 they gave us quick access to the iPod controls and also Screen orientation lock.

This is a "setting" that is NOT found in the iPhone "Settings" app! Anyway I've been trying to find it for a couple weeks now. Seems like it could be 'repeated' in the settings app, so it would be easier to find.

Thanks BHP41!
-doubleclick the 'home' button,
-slide all the icons to the right (and look on the left side)

You will see the screen lock icon which will toggle your 'screen orientation lock' to 'off'.

(Image from 'theiphoneguru.com')
TM-Seattle is offline   1
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:45 PM   #6
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM-Seattle View Post
I found my answer there, but had to red thru a lot of trash to get the answer. It is there.
WOW, we sure wouldn't want you to have to go to all the trouble to read a thread to find an answer.
JamesMB is offline   -1
Old Mar 5, 2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Ebhring
macrumors newbie

Thank you TM-Seattle for your post and FeliceMaxine for being helpful, unlike the other clowns who would rather spend their time making us waist ours. I found this easily and quickly and It answered my question.
Ebhring is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2011, 02:00 PM   #8
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebhring View Post
Thank you TM-Seattle for your post and FeliceMaxine for being helpful, unlike the other clowns who would rather spend their time making us waist ours. I found this easily and quickly and It answered my question.
I must be missing something, you obviously did a search, or you wouldn't have found this thread, so how was it a waste of your time?
Since we sure don't want anyone else "wasting" their time searching...
BTW this information is right from the iPhone. Open Safari, click bookmarks, select iPhone User Guide>iPhone at a Glance, scroll to the bottom of the page, select "Status Icons". BTW, welcome to MacRumors....Lighten up a bit with the clown remarks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Status Icons 1.png
Views:	20891
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	274500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Status Icons2.png
Views:	17204
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	274501  
JamesMB is offline   1
Old Mar 6, 2011, 01:57 AM   #9
Ebhring
macrumors newbie

See James, you can be helpful. That's actually good information. Maybe next time you can skip the sarcasm and I can skip the clown comment.
Ebhring is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2011, 02:48 AM   #10
fireballer55
macrumors member

screen lock....its a nice feature
fireballer55 is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:06 AM   #11
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebhring View Post
That's actually good information.
Thank you, but I didn't go to the trouble of creating an account, logging in, and creating a new post, just so someone could do my searching for me.
JamesMB is offline   -1
Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:35 AM   #12
eastercat
macrumors 68040

This didn't even require searching. I figured out what the icon was by simply using some reasoning skills. If you look at the icon when you activate the lock, it looks like the one in the status bar. C'mon people, those science classes taught you the scientific method. Why let that go to waste? Use your brain like Darwin when he developed the Theory of Evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
Thank you, but I didn't go to the trouble of creating an account, logging in, and creating a new post, just so someone could do my searching for me.

Last edited by eastercat; Mar 7, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
eastercat is offline   -1
Old Mar 7, 2011, 08:54 AM   #13
hilaryaustin
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to hilaryaustin
This didn't even require searching. I figured out what the icon was by simply using some reasoning skills. If you look at the icon when you activate the lock, it looks like the one in the status bar. C'mon people, those science classes taught you the scientific method. Why let that go to waste? Use your brain like Darwin when he developed the Theory of Evolution.

LOL when all those things from school were like 4 years ago. So it was quite hard to figure and remember it out. But never the less they are useful now at the moment.
iPad Shuffle - metallic Black
hilaryaustin is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:37 AM   #14
carla111
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeliceMaxine View Post
A padlock with a circular arrow around it in the status bar at the top the screen means that the phone is locked to portrait mode and will not rotate to landscape mode . This can be turned on and off by double clicking home so that your open apps are displayed then swiping these icons to the right until your iPod contols appear (it will be all the way to the left in your open apps), you should see an icon with a circular arrow. This icon is a toggle to lock and unlock your screen rotation.
thank you but I initially didn't know how to double-click home. I finally figured it out. Next time for beginners, tell them where home screen is....thanks though, I fixed it! CC
carla111 is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15
BrianMR
macrumors regular

Thanks to the people of this thread who were actually helpful and posted the info. This thread is now the top Google thread that I found that was an answer to my query on this. Much better to just say "orientation lock" than post pictures of faces being palmed. It will help the searches of the future as well.
BrianMR is offline   2
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:52 PM   #16
MACcullit
macrumors newbie

Whew finally i was able to remove the icon, thanks to TMSeattle this thread is very helpful
MACcullit is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:02 AM   #17
MilkMan1109
macrumors newbie

Gripe!

Quote:
WOW, we sure wouldn't want you to have to go to all the trouble to read a thread to find an answer.
Why do people have to be so arsey on these techy forums. Surely these forums exist to answer questions like this thread. GROW UP!
MilkMan1109 is offline   1
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:37 PM   #18
SMVH
macrumors newbie

Solution!

Thank you--first solution that popped up in a Google search.

Orthoreed, why on earth would you use an "iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting" forum to post a question, needing help?

Thanks again.
SMVH is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Westham66
macrumors newbie

Quote:
What a dick!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
Another dick!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
And theres the trilogy!

I know this comment doesn't help solve the already solved problem of the icon discussed, but it does solve the problem of diagnosing the dicks on this forum. So this is for those that could have been struggling to get the right help in this area, don't worry, they've been identified, please avoid!

Mature: NO
Feel Good factor: Yes
Westham66 is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:57 AM   #20
Sarthak Gupta
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=FeliceMaxine;10477162] thanks felice Maxine I was worried so much bcaz I too was suffering from the same problem and I thought I would never be available to solve it
Sarthak Gupta is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Chaddy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianray View Post
Thanks for the help, people nowadays don't know how to do the research if the correct answer doesn't immediately pop up in front of there face.
Chaddy is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:43 PM   #22
Symbol1
macrumors newbie

I have a litle red exclamation sign in a circle close to the battery indicator...does anyone knows the answer ???? Thanks
Symbol1 is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Clos
macrumors newbie

Bluetooth Battery Level of battery on a supported Bluetooth device.
Clos is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #24
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol1 View Post
I have a litle red exclamation sign in a circle close to the battery indicator...does anyone knows the answer ???? Thanks
Are you jailbroken? Is it really a circle (and what color is the circle)? It sounds like it's a notification (reminder) from a jailbreak tweak, like from BiteSMS, IntelliscreenX, LockInfo, or something similar.
C DM is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 PM   #25
C DM
macrumors G5

http://newsandguides.com/status-icon...bols-iphone-5/
C DM is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting