Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback

Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:36 PM   #1
NEENAHBOY
macrumors 6502

Great iTunes idea

My perfect idea for iTunes 5:

How many times have you thought of a song lyric, but you have no idea who sang that song? So you plug the random lyric into Google and it gets you nowhere. My idea is a lyric search engine embedded into iTunes. This can only increase the profits for Apple and the amount of consumer confidence in iTunes. Thoughts?
NEENAHBOY is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:39 PM   #2
LeeTom
macrumors 65816

That would be cool, but there could be a hitch: A lot of those lyric sites get shut down, because you're supposed to license the lyrics from the publishing company in order to be able to use them. So this could cost Apple a lot of money in the long run.

Lee Tom
LeeTom is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeTom
That would be cool, but there could be a hitch: A lot of those lyric sites get shut down, because you're supposed to license the lyrics from the publishing company in order to be able to use them. So this could cost Apple a lot of money in the long run.

Lee Tom
Maybe Apple would only have to pay if it showed you the full lyrics. If, instead, it let you type in a portion of the lyrics and then showed you songs that match (not the lyrics of those songs), it wouldn't involve royalties. I'm not sure how they get the lyrics in the first place, though.

Also, if the Music Store sold more songs because of the new "lyric database" feature, they could let you download the lyrics for any song you purchased (sort of like album art), pay a royalty, and maybe still come out ahead because of the increased sales.

What percentage of tunes have "official" lyrics of some kind, i.e., published by the artist or label instead of by fans who might guess or might transcribe them incorrectly?
Old Oct 30, 2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Cybernanga
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Cybernanga Send a message via AIM to Cybernanga
Good idea

Sounds like a good idea, obviously one would have to pay for the full lyrics, let's say $0.01.

You could search for a lyric, and the result would be a list of matching songs, when you select a song, it gives you Artist, Album & Song Name, plus a sample of the lyrics (say one verse and the chorus). Also the option to buy the song if it's not in you iTunes library.

I know the recording industry are a resistant and mercenary group of individuals, but how much $$$ would they want for just the lyrics, considering you have bought the song already?

Send feedback to apple, and ask for royalties if they ever implement it, you never know!
Cybernanga is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2004, 03:34 AM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernanga
I know the recording industry are a resistant and mercenary group of individuals, but how much $$$ would they want for just the lyrics, considering you have bought the song already?
That is right where it gets messy. The labels generally don't hold the rights to the lyrics, and the rights needed to get lyrics and sheet music aren't quite the same ones needed to use a song in a recording.
iMeowbot is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback