Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1
jaxsax44
macrumors newbie

Iphone 4 NOT syncing to itunes

Got a new iphone 4. The first sync I did last week worked great. Everything was up to date. Plugged the phone back into itunes today and now it's stuck on "backing up" or "syncing". Most of the time, itunes just freezes. Other times an error pops up saying there is a communication error. Help, what's going on?
jaxsax44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2
notmymac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsax44 View Post
Got a new iphone 4. The first sync I did last week worked great. Everything was up to date. Plugged the phone back into itunes today and now it's stuck on "backing up" or "syncing". Most of the time, itunes just freezes. Other times an error pops up saying there is a communication error. Help, what's going on?
Could you be a little more specific please? If there is an error please provide the error code...what items are you syncing? What content have you added to Iphone that is not in Itunes? Windows or Mac?

Thanks..would love to help but more info is needed please..
notmymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:20 AM   #3
jaxsax44
macrumors newbie

I'm on a 3 year old macbook. Can't recall the error code. The only files that are new are a few (5) apps and contact lists. No huge files. I left the iphone plugged into itunes all night long and the status bar for backing up did not budge. The iphone icon appears on the left side of itunes, the syncing circle symbol rotates, the iphone says syncing in progress; but itunes freezes. After waiting a few minutes I have to force quit itunes. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
notmymac
macrumors member

So it is Itunes that is freezing up? What version of Mac OSX are you running? The error code would help immensely as Apple has most errors documented with a fix in their Knowledge Base..I would start here though
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3219
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1224

Hope that helps...
notmymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5
jaxsax44
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info and help. I'll look into this when later tonight and try to get an error code.
Ya, it's itunes that freezes while syncing. The iphone is not affected. I'm running the latest version 10.6.4.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:45 PM   #6
sconway2010
macrumors newbie

Reset your iPhone

I had a similar issue with my iPhone but was able to correct it by resetting it. To do that go to Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings

After that I was able to successfully sync.

Hope that helps.

sconway2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
tommyboy21
macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm having problems syncing my iPhone 4 with iTunes as well. I saw the last post about "Reset All Settings" but I was worried that it would delete data on the phone. Here my problem:

Tried syncing last night on 10.5.8 Mac Pro with iTunes 9.2. This was my first time syncing and I only have about 330MBs used on the phone. I just wanted to sync my contacts to the computer basically so only the "Info" tab in iTunes was checked. The phone tried to backup but it didn't look like it was doing anything. (Waited 10-15 mins). Canceled the sync, which froze iTunes (had to force quit). Tried restarting the computer, tried turning off "auto-sync when device is connected", tried only syncing my calendar (since there is less data on there then the contacts. Nothing is working. Every time it just goes to backup the device and stops.

I'm trying it now on a 10.6.4 iMac (obviously a different computer). The "backup" has been running for an hour with no movement. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!
tommyboy21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:30 PM   #8
tommyboy21
macrumors newbie

Fixed!

Hey all,

Hopefully this might help someone else out, but after 2 hours of iTunes saying "Backup iPhone" I decided to cancel the sync. I unplugged my iPhone and turned it off (holding the top and home key at the same time). Restarted it up and plugged it in. Went to sync and the backup was done in seconds!

So, I guess the moral of the story is don't forget to try restarting the phone.
tommyboy21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Ace R.
macrumors member

Wow I spent a good hour trying to troubleshoot this and all my phone needed was a simple reboot LOL.

Thanks for the tip
Ace R. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:01 AM   #10
darkgroove
macrumors member

I had this problem recently as well and I wanted to share how I fixed it so that should it happen to anyone else they won't have to pull their hair out.

The other day I installed X11 (if you don't know what it is, don't worry) from the Snow Leopard DVD and then my iTunes would not see my iPhone 4 any more.

I tried rebooting the phone, that didn't work.
I tried restarting the computer, that didn't work.
I tried seeing if it would show up on another User profile, that didn't work.

What worked? Reinstalling iTunes.

By the time the installation was complete, my iPhone automatically made a noise as if to say "I'm syncing again!" And then everything worked.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:50 PM   #11
epicdeer
macrumors newbie

iphone 4 syncing problems

My iphone 4 suddenly was becoming stuck during syncing (on Contacts or Calendars).

Eventually I found help in this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627

which told me to reset the sync services folder by going into the terminal app and typing

/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/resetsync.pl reset

Read the article for complete instructions.
epicdeer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:44 PM   #12
awilsoncdc
macrumors newbie

Reset All Settings worked for me

New G4 wouldn't connect to itunes and sync upload my previous phone's apps and data. The advice above to use Reset worked for me. Thanks
awilsoncdc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:59 AM   #13
chicpea73
macrumors newbie

Question My Iphone Won't Sync Still

I have had my iPhone 4 for one week. It would sync with no problem until today. I have a Windows PC and the latest version of iTunes on it. It will go through all 4 stages of the sync process and at #4, a window pops up and says, "iTunes could not backup the iPhone ___ because an error occurred."

I have gone through this thread and tried every option given. It is still not working.

Any help?
chicpea73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:44 PM   #14
GStoner42
macrumors newbie

my iPhone 4 won't sync with my iTunes on my MacBook Pro

I am getting an error message that my iPhone won't sync because the required disk could not be found. When I close that, then I get an error message 0xE8000001. Anybody have any idea what to do to fix this? This used to happen with my previous iPhone too. I don't expect this with my Mac.
GStoner42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:56 PM   #15
yabbadabba
macrumors newbie

I'm finding the whole iPhone 4/iTunes nexus shockingly badly engineered. Indeed, it's offered me a window (so to speak) into the entire Mac OS environment (I recently migrated from Windows to Mac on the basis of my positive experience with my iPhone 3g) that's been quite a surprise.

Contrary to my expectation, I've found the Mac OS environment to be :

a) cumbersome and rigid
b) buggy (crashes far more than Windows 7)
c) and, of course, expensive

I'll be returning to Windows, and ditching my iPhone for Android, poste haste ...
yabbadabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:30 PM   #16
nirsha
macrumors newbie

Smile i got the solution...

had same problem ...but solved it ... follow this link

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1692

nirsha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:20 PM   #17
techgirl22
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Same Problem

I am having some of the same problems except I have tried restarting the phone, the computer, I have tried deleting all apple applications and reinstalling iTunes, I have tried everything already posted on this site...anyone have any other luck? Been on hold for apple care for 2 hours.
techgirl22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:29 PM   #18
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl22 View Post
I am having some of the same problems except I have tried restarting the phone, the computer, I have tried deleting all apple applications and reinstalling iTunes, I have tried everything already posted on this site...anyone have any other luck? Been on hold for apple care for 2 hours.
What version of Windows, iTunes & iOS are you running? Jailbroken?
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
techgirl22
macrumors newbie

I am using windows 7 and have the latest version of iTunes (10.6).
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:40 PM   #20
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl22 View Post
I am using windows 7 and have the latest version of iTunes (10.6).
Make sure it's 10.6.3

Okay, and what iPhone model + iOS are you using?
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:46 PM   #21
techgirl22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Make sure it's 10.6.3

Okay, and what iPhone model + iOS are you using?
Using iPhone 4s and iOS 5.1
It just keeps getting stuck on backing up during sync...it won't go any farther and I left it plugged up for over 6 hours so far...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:38 PM   #22
techgirl22
macrumors newbie

Okay, now it went all the way to step 7 of transferring purchases then just froze... Im going to have to use start task manager to clear out and begin again..
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:16 AM   #23
srikanthjj
macrumors newbie

iPhone4 Restarts and iTunes Freezes

Hello All,

I have Windows 7 Laptop and I have Iphone 4 past some months i have Sync issue that is when phone connected the iTunes open automatically and starts syncing and on Phone it says Syncing In Progress and iTunes as Backing up and Itunes freezes and after a minute apple logo comes on the phone and with a loading symbol and phone restarts and Itunes still Froze and disconnect the phone and iTunes unfreezes and says Cancelling Backup,

Steps Tried: Deleted Backups, and Reset Phone already once, Have reinstalled iTunes (10.5.2) and same issue,

Please Help
srikanthjj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting