Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
how do i change it?? it is annoying :( it shows a popup of 1 message unread but all are read :confused:

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
^ if that doesn't work.

Press and hold both the Home and Sleep/Wake button for about 10 secs.

Nine9si

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mines been doing the same. Sometimes I get a text and it don't show in the SMS app unless I use the search option. I'm thinking because i restored from a backup onto the i4 and had quickreply on my 3GS originally.

projeckt626

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
This has been happening to me as well. It'll even add a number to the alert "bubble" when I send a message sometimes. I called Apple™ support yesterday and both 1st and 2nd level techs had no idea what was causing it. They advised that I restore the phone as new, which I'd rather not do. I too restored from backup from my 3G, but I wasn't jailbroken and I wasn't using any non-standard apps. More specifically, I wasn't using quickreply. I'd love to figure out how to get this fixed.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
This must be an ios4 bug because I have had it on my 3GS since I updated. Normally a restart fixes it for me

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
i've had it. it seems to go away with a little time. i've not had to restart. just ignore for a bit. it goes away.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
i've had it. it seems to go away with a little time. i've not had to restart. just ignore for a bit. it goes away.

projeckt626

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
So has anyone had any solution on this problem? I still haven't been able to get it working properly.

Nine9si

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Restoring mines fixed the problem. I set it up as new. Then used google to sync my contacts back. Haven't had that problem again.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
This has happened with every OS. It's completely normal...as in a annoying and should be fixed normal.

Not a big deal though, you can wait until someone texts you or even restart your phone if it bothers you that much.

Sanj

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
I was able to fix this when it happened to me. It turns out that a message in a 'Group' (SMS w/ multiple people) was unread.

I found this by pulling down on the screen from top to bottom and the notification summary dashboard listed the 'unread message.' After selecting the message, I was directed to te mystery unread message.

Now I don't have the badge (1 new message) alert anymore.

Hope it works for you guys too!!

Coda70

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Fixed it

I tried all the suggestions here and nothing worked.

It turned out I needed to open each SMS conversation and scroll through to the top to find the unread message. That fixed it.

We all have that one friend who is always texting us cute little inspirational sayings that we usually ignore, right? Well, it turns out they will haunt you with a little red bubble with the number 1 in it unless we at least pretend to read them!

Thank you for letting me be of service.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.