Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:30 PM   #476
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816
 
Rot'nApple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: I DID build that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvapor View Post
This is a hardware issue, not software. They should have just put the seam at the top of the unit.
Isn't apple and other smart phone manufacturers stymied by Federal Government reglaltions regarding RF signals needing to be as far away from the head as possible? That is why the antenna is on the bottom or lower right or lower left... and not at the top as you suggested.

I think that's it... the reason why... your government cares!
__________________
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Today we have no Jobs, No Hope and No Cash.
Rot'nApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:30 PM   #477
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
I wish the people that are complaining would have known about this issue. They wouldn't have hogged up the long lines for the others that couldn't get the phone.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:30 PM   #478
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
The FCC allows it. Think about the rabbit ears on old TV sets.
Well, I know that My point was that FCC did not require Apple to place the antennas on the outside. It was purely Apple's choice dictated by Steve's notorious love for flashy designs to the detriment of the device functionality (remember those sharp edges on MacBoc Pros?)
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:30 PM   #479
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
So if the exact same thing happens with the 3GS and the 3G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywloTorTF8g

And on other phones, like the Nexus One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1SKm9NWDGE

And some Nokia phones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zsuxbd0L0g

Why is there so much bad press (and public panic) about the iPhone 4? Would most people even realize there was such a problem if they hadn't read about it and tried holding the phone as demonstrated to replicate the problem? Probably not.

Is there an uproar because Apple customers have exceedingly high standards? Is there an uproar because the tech blogs can generate loads of page hits by posting about Apple flaws (vs. flaws in other products)? Are competitors' PR departments helping fan the flames of FUD?

Inquiring minds want to know.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:31 PM   #480
ricgregory
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
I think the issue is that the graphic display showing the signal strength is not accurate. There are times when it shows 4 or 5 bars when actually it should show minimal strength. At these times holding the phone with the left hand covering the lower left corner degrades the signal enough to drop the signal altogether.
I think you are absolutely correct - the exact same happens to me - the iPhone 4 signal seems to fluctuate quite dramatically on screen - I did a test the other evening put my 3GS and 4G together rang both phones. Before I rang both phones had only one bar during the call the 4G went to full strength whilst the 3GS stayed at one bar - as soon as i picked up the phone the 4G suddenly started loosing bars. Steve Jobs has already admitted there is an issue with the software representation of the bars - i'm willing to give him the opportunity to release a fix to see if it solves the issue - if it doesn't then i'm gonna get real mad!
ricgregory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:31 PM   #481
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603
 
chrmjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
That's a lie. Google fixed the problem by software update.
Your article is dated in February. Many people said the software update did nothing at all to help. That prompted this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/22/g...-3g-issues-ad/

Quote:
Looking back through our archives, you'll find plenty of user dissatisfaction with the 3G reception on Google's Nexus One. Blamed alternately on T-Mobile's inferior 3G coverage and on software bugs, the problem was expected to be banished with an over-the-air update in early February. The update came, but the trouble also stayed. It might now be time to finally lay those last lingering hopes for rectification to rest, as Google has directly responded to calls for a bigger and better OTA patch by explaining that it's no longer working on "further engineering improvements." That's a pretty conclusive sign that the problem is in the hardware, particularly when you peruse the support thread in question and the reception comparisons users have been doing with other handsets. Well, at least you know for sure now.
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've seen some recent speculation on this thread about an OTA to improve 3G connectivity and I want to give you an update on the situation.

While we are continuing to monitor user feedback regarding the 3G performance on the Nexus One, we are no longer investigating further engineering improvements at this time.

If you are still experiencing 3G issues, we recommend that you try changing your location or even the orientation of your phone, as this may help in areas with weaker coverage.
They suggested changing the orientation of the phone. Heretics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22apr10ob235nexusone4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	235167  
__________________
Read my Apple A8, iPhone 6 preview and prediction thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1770411
Twitter: @anexanhume

Last edited by chrmjenkins; Jun 29, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
chrmjenkins is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:31 PM   #482
jeff33702
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Fine. I'm going to give it a few more days to at least HEAR something positive from Apple before I join the class auction suit.

I'm certainly no expert but it sure seems to me that the below video (and audio) displays that just barely touching that spot on the phone actually shorts the antennae out and prevents it from receiving 3g data. It's easily reproduced, so attorneys should have a field day when they get an actual communications engineer to observe this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzn8QhrYIvI
__________________
Hear AND see the iPhone 4 stop transmitting data.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzn8QhrYIvI
jeff33702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:31 PM   #483
marksman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritlevel View Post
Sorry cobby but that's cobblers. I've had at least 8 phones before this iPhone 4 and none of them have ever dropped calls because of how I held them.
That is an absurd statement to make and likely 100% untrue.

For this to be true, you would likely have to have NEVER had a single dropped call on any phone you ever owned.

The more I read these threads the more I think people don't fudamentally know how cell phones work.

Clearly most of the people doing the most complaining must be very young, because back in the early days of cellphones you often had to stand on a chair balancing on one leg with an arm out the window while holding a tennis racket to complete a cell phone call.

For people to not fundamentally understand that minor changes in position, even moving the phone a few inches can potentially have a massive impact on the signal received is very ignorant.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:32 PM   #484
HoldFastHope
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, AU
Wondering if this has anything to do with the lack of details for the international launch. Usually it sucks getting everything months later in Australia, but I guess this case is different.

For those who can replicate the problem, is it direct contact with skin? I'm curious to know if the signal drop occurs only when you directly press on that area or if you indirectly touch it (ie keeping the phone in your pocket, contact with skin through thin fabric etc.)
HoldFastHope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:32 PM   #485
BC2009
macrumors 68000
 
BC2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactagonist View Post
when will this retarded "FAIL" meme go away?
+1

I would argue that using "FAIL" is about the biggest failure at an attempt to say anything intelligent. It is only surpassed by using the word "epic" in front of the word "fail".
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:32 PM   #486
woodchuck
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I had to sign up for this forum to post my reply. I am an apple fan. We have 3 computers, 2 iphone 4's ipads, etc.

I bought my iphone 4 on launch day. I also purchased the bumper. I don't know about other people, but I am seeing this issue even with the bumper on. Maybe it doesn't drop off as quick, or as bad with the bumper. Even with the bumper, I've seen it drop from 5 bars to no bars. It never drops to no service, but the data performance goes from 2Mbps downstream to almost nothing.

I am seriously considering returning this phone. I've already sold my 3G. If I return this phone, I will be purchasing a phone from one of Apple's competitors. This upsets me because I have spent a lot of money on iphone apps. I however can not deal with a phone that does not work properly.
woodchuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:32 PM   #487
Fuchal
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
I just made my 3GS drop signal based on the 'lower-right corner' issue. It definitely exists.

I think the phenomenon with the iPhone 4 is the fact that the antenna is on the outside and people think that it is more subjected to the 'death grip' when in reality it is on all phones.

If you have a 3GS, try covering the bottom right corner. I went from 5 bars to 2 bars (T-Mobile).

I'll make a video if anyone doesn't believe me or cannot replicate it.
5 bars to 2 is nothing like 5 bars to NO SIGNAL.

2 bars is usable, no signal is instantly worthless.

If my iPhone 4 dropped to 2 bars, I would have no complaints whatsoever.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:33 PM   #488
wreckshop
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Nice job committing a crime. It is illegal to record a phone call when talking to someone in California without their permission.

What is wrong with some of you chuckleheads?
ur the chucklehead. wtf do u think they're doing when u hear "this call may be monitored for" message?
wreckshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:33 PM   #489
MrSkoTA
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MB SC
My Take

They are probably not offering free bumpers and going with the wait and see approach because they ARE working on a software fix... It could Very Well be fixed by software. If they offered the free bumpers then everyone and their brother/mother/father/sister/step.... would go to get one and they probably can't keep them in stock as it is. FW fix will come. They probably sold the bumpers because as is the issue with me... it feels better in the hand to the average person. If you are like me then going from the 3Gs to 4 didn't feel too comfortable. I like it with the bumper. It also lets you see the beautiful back. Call me gullible but that I believe this to be the case... no pun intended. Guess we will see. I also believe that apple is waiting for the Jailbreak community to release pwnagetool for iPHone 4 and unlock so they can break it... pretty good strategy.
MrSkoTA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:34 PM   #490
scwinsett
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
That is an absurd statement to make and likely 100% untrue.

For this to be true, you would likely have to have NEVER had a single dropped call on any phone you ever owned.

The more I read these threads the more I think people don't fudamentally know how cell phones work.

Clearly most of the people doing the most complaining must be very young, because back in the early days of cellphones you often had to stand on a chair balancing on one leg with an arm out the window while holding a tennis racket to complete a cell phone call.

For people to not fundamentally understand that minor changes in position, even moving the phone a few inches can potentially have a massive impact on the signal received is very ignorant.

Are you brain dead? He said he's never had a dropped call based on how he HELD the phone. That is in no way like saying he has never had a dropped call.. This is not an issue of dropped calls because of AT&T.. we're talking about a very obvious design flaw.
__________________
@seancstaggs
Www.corporatejuggernaut.com
scwinsett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:34 PM   #491
BC2009
macrumors 68000
 
BC2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I had to sign up for this forum to post my reply. I am an apple fan. We have 3 computers, 2 iphone 4's ipads, etc.

I bought my iphone 4 on launch day. I also purchased the bumper. I don't know about other people, but I am seeing this issue even with the bumper on. Maybe it doesn't drop off as quick, or as bad with the bumper. Even with the bumper, I've seen it drop from 5 bars to no bars. It never drops to no service, but the data performance goes from 2Mbps downstream to almost nothing.

I am seriously considering returning this phone. I've already sold my 3G. If I return this phone, I will be purchasing a phone from one of Apple's competitors. This upsets me because I have spent a lot of money on iphone apps. I however can not deal with a phone that does not work properly.
i'm sure some folks on this forum (including myself) would gladly trade your our used iPhone 3Gs units for your shiny new iPhone 4's. they are faster than your old 3G and won't suffer from any reception issue.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:34 PM   #492
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603
 
chrmjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
I wish the people that are complaining would have known about this issue. They wouldn't have hogged up the long lines for the others that couldn't get the phone.
Amen. What's worse is that people will return the phone based on their overreaction and then come back here to complain about not having it anymore and having to pay to upgrade to it.
__________________
Read my Apple A8, iPhone 6 preview and prediction thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1770411
Twitter: @anexanhume
chrmjenkins is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:35 PM   #493
wirelessmacuser
macrumors 68000
 
wirelessmacuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Planet.Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by timish View Post
It's obvious Apple knew about this prior to release.

Look at the problem the phone is having and the issues being reported. Look at the part of the phone that is causing the issue.

Now, look at the design of the "bumper". Too coincidental for me.

They KNEW about the issue and this bumper crap is the "fix" based on another product we need to buy.

Utterly ridiculous.
Well said, there's no doubt about it.
wirelessmacuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:36 PM   #494
Sweetbike40
macrumors 65816
 
Sweetbike40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY/NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by random person View Post
But why not say there is a software fix? What's wrong with saying they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it with a software update? That's already what they told Walt Mossberg of the WSJ.

I will be extremely disappointed if there is not a fix in the works. Extremely.
A phone that is used for data as well as phone calls should be able to be held in the left hand.

I'm living with it, as we all are, but this is really unfortunate.
I don't think it's just a left hand issue. I was on the phone today and the conversation went terrible. I actually don't talk on the phone much so i'm a poor example, but comparing to my 3G, todays experience was painful. Other person kept cutting out. They thought i was still there and just kept talking. They were on a land line. Then eventually the call would drop. That fading in and out like that has actually never happened to me before. I should make more calls on this to test it out more. I'd be pretty upset if i needed this for business.

EDIT: I have NO DESIRE to return this phone and i don't b***h about it, i'm just saying i can understand why some people are pretty upset. I love this phone otherwise. I also have confidence that Apple will come around eventually with this. Look how long they were quiet about the white iPhone? He's just playing it down and it's working against him. Sometimes better off not saying anything and just fixing it. He did say "stay tuned". wonder what that means
__________________
SR MBP 17", Power Mac G5
16g iPod Touch (sold)
8g Pink Nano
iPhone 4
Sweetbike40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:36 PM   #495
MikePA
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReflexReact View Post
Fact of the matter is, no one has shown a video of two iphone4s, one next to each other. both on the same network. one exhibiting the issue, the other not.
You clearly don't know what a scientific proof is. Because no one has done this doesn't prove anything. You're the one making the accusation therefore you need to prove your point, others don't have to prove you wrong.
MikePA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:36 PM   #496
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgregory View Post
I think you are absolutely correct - the exact same happens to me - the iPhone 4 signal seems to fluctuate quite dramatically on screen - I did a test the other evening put my 3GS and 4G together rang both phones. Before I rang both phones had only one bar during the call the 4G went to full strength whilst the 3GS stayed at one bar - as soon as i picked up the phone the 4G suddenly started loosing bars. Steve Jobs has already admitted there is an issue with the software representation of the bars - i'm willing to give him the opportunity to release a fix to see if it solves the issue - if it doesn't then i'm gonna get real mad!
You probably have not seen all those clips on YouTube showing the phone dropping the calls and drastically reducing download speeds. When the bars go down - there are consequences.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:37 PM   #497
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocustom1989 View Post
All phones dont have their antenas exposed.
Bzzt. Incorrect. See any number of YouTube videos demonstrating the exact same behavior on other phones (both from Apple and from others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocustom1989 View Post
Even on the 3GS the antena is covered by plastic. That's not the same issue.
Um, doesn't the exact same result make it the same issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocustom1989 View Post
Hold it differently? What? You want me to hold a super fragile phone in a way that compromises its safety in my hands?
I bet 90% of iPhone users would never have held the phone (while talking) in the way demonstrated to cause the problem until they read about it. Seriously, who buries the corner of the phone in the palm when the phone is up to your ear? I don't. It makes a weird angle.

I agree that Apple needs to look into a fix, if possible, but I also think this issue is being blown way out of proportion.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:37 PM   #498
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
So if the exact same thing happens with the 3GS and the 3G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywloTorTF8g

And on other phones, like the Nexus One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1SKm9NWDGE

And some Nokia phones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zsuxbd0L0g

Why is there so much bad press (and public panic) about the iPhone 4?
Because Apple was smart enough to mark the spot where not to hold the phone with a nice visible black gap in a great looking metal band. All those other phones had this important info hidden in the manual before a user could find out how to best hold the device.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:37 PM   #499
Gators Fan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here, There, & Everywhere
Dear Steve Jobs--

Please send me a FREE bumper. Surely Apple can afford to give away a dollar's worth of rubberized plastic with a $600 smartphone.

You've got my address.

In fact, send every iPhone 4 owner a FREE bumper. (You've got their addresses, too.)

Thanks.

~Gators Fan

Gators Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:37 PM   #500
spiritlevel
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
This is evidence that some people having reception problems hold the phone in a very unusual and abnormal manner. Just read the description above it makes no sense. The only way to get your thumb in "the meat" is to be holding the phone all whack jobish.

Hold the phone like a normal person. If you want to see how a normal person holds a phone, well I don't know where to tell you to go, because it might be hard to find normal people.
Is Steve Jobs a normal person? Because he's holding it wrong...



As are these people in Apple's own marketing materials...

spiritlevel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S reception/signal strength issues? stevefo iPhone 0 Feb 17, 2014 05:03 PM
iPhone 5s Signal Issues? Po1soNNN iPhone 5 Sep 25, 2013 10:52 PM
AppleCare Support Employees Begin Training on iOS 7 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 68 Sep 3, 2013 10:47 AM
iPhone 5 Signal Issues Talos6608 iPhone 0 Feb 19, 2013 08:21 AM
AppleCare Technician Training LePigeonBleu Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 6 Aug 25, 2012 11:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps