Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...-iphone-4-antenna-troubleshooting-procedures/

"Clearly Apple is taking the position that nothing is wrong with the antenna, although that’s not surprising since most companies will never willingly admit their flagship product is potentially suffering from an unfixable flaw. But does anyone else find it interesting, if not troubling, that there is no mention of an impending software fix?"

Interesting!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
AppleCare Training Document on iPhone 4 Signal Issues Revealed

171220-iphone_4_antennas.jpg

Boy Genius Report claims to have received a copy of Apple's internal training documentation for assisting its AppleCare staff with handling customer complaints regarding iPhone 4 signal issues.

The document instructs AppleCare representatives to work with the customer to diagnose the problem, but that issues appearing when the iPhone 4 is held at the lower left corner or the iPhone 3GS is held at the bottom right side should be addressed by either holding the phone differently or using a case or bumper.
Clearly Apple is taking the position that nothing is wrong with the antenna, although that's not surprising since most companies will never willingly admit their flagship product is potentially suffering from an unfixable flaw. But does anyone else find it interesting, if not troubling, that there is no mention of an impending software fix?
Apple's guidelines also push the "positioning statements" to be used by representatives, claiming that the iPhone 4 has better overall antenna performance than the iPhone 3GS and that almost any mobile phone will experience similar issues. Finally, representatives are instructed not to promise free bumpers to customers experiencing the issue, although a number of users have already reported receiving bumpers from Apple as a means of addressing the signal issues.

Article Link: AppleCare Training Document on iPhone 4 Signal Issues Revealed

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I suspected that a fix may not be coming. Why you ask; well because the iPad is plagued with WIFI issues, with not a peep of an update in sight.

I feel they will blow this off- business as usual, that's how they roll at .

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Being a tad overly dramatic don't you think? Apple is a company, and companies exist to make money. I don't see anything wrong with that document. They can't just hand out free **** to anyone who calls complaining. I do not have this issue with my phone at all - but if I call, do I deserve a free bumper?

Just wait it out and see what happens.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...=Feed:+TheBoyGeniusReport+(Boy+Genius+Report)

I think that say's it all really, about Apple, and about their approach to this situation. Sorry, I mean non-situation. I hope they burn, badly.

mrfriggz

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...=Feed:+TheBoyGeniusReport+(Boy+Genius+Report)

I think that say's it all really, about Apple, and about their approach to this situation. Sorry, I mean non-situation. I hope they burn, badly.

Interesting. I think that this "issue" will be cleared up once the dust from the launch settles. IMO I believe people are slightly over-reacting, especially here on macrumors. The few friends and co-workers who happened to get their new iPhones already haven't made a peep about reception. Makes me think it isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people are making it. Just my 2c :apple:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Absolutely shocking if true.. they CLEARLY know there is an issue hand held. BTW, i got an iphone 4 today. I had the signal drop issue in one place.. I could repeat it over and over.. in another location, no dice - so it definitely has to do with what your signal is to start. In the former I had 4 bars showing, the latter, 5.

Shocking response.. the bumpers cost them PENNIES to make.

I'm thinking of returning the phone if this is their policy. Voting with the wallet... NOT cool Apple.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
But why not say there is a software fix? What's wrong with saying they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it with a software update? That's already what they told Walt Mossberg of the WSJ.

I will be extremely disappointed if there is not a fix in the works. Extremely.
A phone that is used for data as well as phone calls should be able to be held in the left hand.

I'm living with it, as we all are, but this is really unfortunate.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Apple isn't going to reveal any details about a software fix, if one is even forthcoming, until it's ready for release.

Apple hasn't stopped being Apple. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone's senses.

And they are not going to admit a flaw or let their CSR's admit a flaw exists either. The farthest they would go right now would be declare individual units as defective and encourage replacements. Not until they have more a more concrete fix available.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
bad apple bad, i must buy a crappy n1 or desire or incredible, cause of u, but i bad wanted the iphone 4:( must wait now to iphone 5

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple isn't going to reveal any details about a software fix, if one is even forthcoming, until it's ready for release.

Apple hasn't stopped being Apple. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone's senses.

THis is a hardware issue and clearly unfixable with firmware/softwore.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Guess that settles it

I've warned everyone on my Facebook page to cancel their orders, and return their phones before their return window closes. We all know a fixed version is in the works and who wants to waste their upgrade credit on a POS?

My 3GS will be fine until iPhone 4.1 comes out.

Boo Apple

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
But why not say there is a software fix? What's wrong with saying they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it with a software update? That's already what they told Walt Mossberg of the WSJ.
The problem with that is it opens them up to liabilities - simply put Apple isn't going to make people wait for something that has no time frame.

sslanchi

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Ive been reloading MR on an hourly basis waiting for news of iOS 4.0.1 to drop..and instead get this..

..not cool.

- Owner of an i4 that drops signal completely when held indoors

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt

That's ****ing **** Apple :rolleyes: :eek:.

I feel jealous for you Americans starting class action law suits already.... can us Brits join in?

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
Well, they have to have something to make the fanboys hoot and holler at the Keynote for iPhone 5 next year. Can you imagine the pandemonium when Steve says, "We've improved reception?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.