Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What a hot product ;)

From another web site, WSJ requires subscription

Models from the Sony Vaio F and Vaio C lines sold since January 2010 supposedly carry a temperature-control defect that can lead to such high heat that even the shape of the laptop becomes distorted.

The total of mobile PCs recalled is 535,000. Of these, 103,000 were sold in Europe, 259,000 were shipped in the US, 120,000 in Asia and the remaining 52,000 in Japan.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Wow, the only PC laptop I like is being recalled. Before I got my MacBook, the Vaio was the only PC I was considering buying.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Wow, the only PC laptop I like is being recalled. Before I got my MacBook, the Vaio was the only PC I was considering buying.

Try a Thinkpad T-series. Best-built for the money, with user-replaceable parts (try finding that on most machines today), and a keyboard that puts all others to shame.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I dunno about the CW, but the F is one of the coolest running laptops I've used.

temps.jpg

Granted, that's just doing normal stuff. Ok, so I decided to see if anyone had a record:

Fan_Speed_Stress_CPU_GPU_Flat_Desk.JPG

That's.. toasty lol

http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...7-owners-thread-part-3-a-136.html#post6425624

Check this stuff out:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-VPC-F11Z1-E-Notebook.25724.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-inch-i7-2010-04-Notebook.30506.0.html

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
Try a Thinkpad T-series. Best-built for the money, with user-replaceable parts (try finding that on most machines today), and a keyboard that puts all others to shame.

I like my t400. If only it wasn't running windows. The battery lasts forever.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005

Agreed. In fact, IBM/Lenovo and Apple have historically been the only companies that could build a laptop that survive a year or more in my loving care xD

Looking back, every Apple laptop I've owned since my PB1400, barring one of the two 12" AlBooks that just got dropped one too many times still works. The same can be said of my T20, T30, and the cheap Lenovo N200 I bought when I thought I wouldn't be able to afford the MacBook I'm using now.

In the same time, I've killed Dells, Sonys, various MSI and Mitac machines badged as unheardof manufacturers, so YMMV, but I'll stick to Apple and Lenovo. Sonys tend to feel just as flimsy as all the others IMHO, but maybe I've only had the misfortune to meet their lower end machines.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I'd almost agree with you on this, but plastic MacBooks are incredibly flimsy machines.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I'd almost agree with you on this, but plastic MacBooks are incredibly flimsy machines.

My first apple laptop was a first gen macbook (plastic). It was pretty sturdy I thought. It scratched easily, but that's it. It survived a fair share of bumps and lumps. I got rid of it because I needed more screen...

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Imma somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. Some Thinkpads (although not current ones) have AFFS (or IPS) screens that are better than anything else I've ever seen in a laptop.. by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.