Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Spica
macrumors member

Help, can't delete alias!!!

I opened the Finder, created a new folder call 'Misc' under Applications. Then I drag 'Misc' to the column at the left hand side (above Movies) Now, there are 2 'Misc' one at the right hand side and one under Applications.

So I dragged the Misc under Applications into Trash and cleared the Trash. Now, every time I click on the 'Misc' at the left column a dialog box says -> The alias "Misc" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found. I can only click ok on the dialog box. So how do I delete the alias now?

It's very fustrating...
Spica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....just drag it out of the sidebar and watch it go "poof." Oh, and please just post your questions in *one* forum - cross-posting is not an accepted practice here....oh yeah!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Spica
macrumors member

I can't drag it. Everytime when I click on it, it shows the error --> The alias "Misc" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found. I can only click ok on the dialog box.
Spica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:59 PM   #4
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says...instead of clicking it, click and hold so you can drag immediately. If that doesn't work...then maybe recreate the "Misc" folder you deleted (you don't have to put anything in it), then delete from the sidebar, then delete the folder again....oh yeah!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:34 PM   #5
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....the other way to get rid of it is a little trickier - you can delete the item out of the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file. That file will be in ~/library/preferences and can be edited with either Apple's Property List Editor or even with Textedit. But as always when tinkering with these types of files, work on a copy of the file, especially if you are not too sure what you are doing with it.....oh yeah!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store