Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
samcraig
macrumors G5

FaceTime 2.0 - The Next Generation...

Yes - I know - FaceTime is "brand new"
But here's what I'd love to see happen in the future. Post your ideas as well...

- iChat compatibility
- Skype compatibility
- Other phones adopting the protocol to make it possible to talk to pretty much anyone regardless of phone type
- 3G connectivity
- 3 Way Video Chat
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Sustainability
macrumors regular

The only realistic possibility is maybe the iChat compatibility in the next few months.

Everything else won't happen for a long time/ever.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I don't think there will be a FaceTime 2.0 any time soon. Since FT is a protocol, it will just be implemented into other applications over time. iChat, Skype and other phones can implement it if they want to, and they may already be implementing it.

3G connectivity will come when AT&T decides how badly they want to rip off their customers this time.

3 way video chat would be more of a '2.0' feature.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:29 PM   #4
samcraig
macrumors G5

Ever? I disagree

3G video chatting will happen in about 12-18 months.
As for other manufacturers taking advantage of the technology - we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. ESPECIALLY if 3G becomes a reality. Why? Because a) why re-invent the wheel and spend money on developing your own format while b) carriers can bill for usage.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Mademan12321
macrumors 6502

Just waitin for me jailbreak
Mademan12321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
stlredbird
macrumors regular

3D FaceTime!!!!!!
stlredbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:56 PM   #7
KidStallyn
macrumors 6502

I'm working on an XXX-Rated Sex Toy App called ****** Time. It's simple...there's a male 'appliance', and a female 'appliance'. The male wears his like a condom, and the female inserts hers well...You know where.....Both are connected to the 30 Pin doc connector, and use the front facing camera to complete their F' Time visual connection.

The accelerometer and new gyroscope of the iPhone 4 provide all of the movement data, and we send impulses to the appliances via the doc connector so that the users get the real feeling of intercourse.

It's made for couples who don't get to see each other much, and well.....Need that extra special touch.

The first version will feature a 'tethered' version. We intend to phase out the tethering sometime in the 1Q of 2011 when our Bluetooth appliance is released, giving our users an Intercourse Experience like non-other.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:00 PM   #8
stlredbird
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidStallyn View Post
I'm working on an XXX-Rated Sex Toy App called ****** Time. It's simple...there's a male 'appliance', and a female 'appliance'. The male wears his like a condom, and the female inserts hers well...You know where.....Both are connected to the 30 Pin doc connector, and use the front facing camera to complete their F' Time visual connection.

The accelerometer and new gyroscope of the iPhone 4 provide all of the movement data, and we send impulses to the appliances via the doc connector so that the users get the real feeling of intercourse.

It's made for couples who don't get to see each other much, and well.....Need that extra special touch.

The first version will feature a 'tethered' version. We intend to phase out the tethering sometime in the 1Q of 2011 when our Bluetooth appliance is released, giving our users an Intercourse Experience like non-other.
I'm sure Apple will wave that one right through to the app store.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:02 PM   #9
themadrussian
macrumors regular

Quote:

Best app idea ever.
themadrussian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:04 PM   #10
stlredbird
macrumors regular

Quote:

But will it be compatible with the iBrator?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:07 PM   #11
theBigD23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Ever? I disagree

3G video chatting will happen in about 12-18 months.
As for other manufacturers taking advantage of the technology - we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. ESPECIALLY if 3G becomes a reality. Why? Because a) why re-invent the wheel and spend money on developing your own format while b) carriers can bill for usage.
AT&T can't make phone calls for the last 4 years. You want them to do video chat on 3G within 12 - 18 months? I'll take that bet.
theBigD23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Downey92
macrumors member

Well hopefully other phone/application developers will actually use Apples 'open' facetime standard as a standard and not be so stubborn and attempt to implement their own crap protocol. If they can all support it so it works with tons of devices then video calling will take off bigtime.
Downey92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:10 PM   #13
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlredbird View Post
3D FaceTime!!!!!!
This one gets my vote.
mrblack927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:17 PM   #14
samcraig
macrumors G5

3D FaceTime?

Will that be followed by "SmellTime" and "TasteTime"

That last one would be tricky to avoid getting those moisture stickers to not activate...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:20 PM   #15
stu212
macrumors member

what your saying already happens in the UK like every single phone in the UK for the past 5 years has had video calling.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:28 PM   #16
Deadman64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

haha
Deadman64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:31 PM   #17
Downey92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu212 View Post
what your saying already happens in the UK like every single phone in the UK for the past 5 years has had video calling.
It just happens to be an absolute arse to set up, video is low quality and choppy and only tech geeks can actually be bothered to use it.

What I wish would happen is on any phone with front camera and the facetime 'standard' on it, then I could just hit the facetime button on a compatible contact and it'll 'just work'. This is the only way people will actually use it because it works with lots of devices, this will convince phone manufacturers to include higher quality front facing cameras in future phones.
Downey92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone