Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
i am setting up 2 servers to serve my Meany computers my mini g4 with osx server 10.4 or 10.5 (witch would be better to get) witch will be my ftp/ torrent/ osx logon server and pc with windows server 2003 as a pc ris server, now everything i read says i need to setup the pc as the dchp / dns server can i use my currrent router as the dchp or use the mac mini as a dchp / dns server

sorry if i ask stupid questions i am new to the hole server thing

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
sorry if i ask stupid questions i am new to the hole server thing
Also apparently new to the whole English thing as well :p But you do need to set the PC up as dhcp/dns so that PCs can be used on your network. Macs can interact with PC servers, but this isnt mutual, so its much simpler to let the Windows Server perform those duties. (Personally I run a G4/450 Server for my Macs and a PC Server for my PCs and they both have basic internet sharing and separate sub-nets. As far as the OS goes, Id use 10.4 Server as its a G4 based Mac - If you do go with 10.5 Server, Id recommend upgrading it to the max specs, or possibly getting a cheap G5 server (1.6Ghz G5 Towers now go for £150ish)

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
so it would be better to just have 2 wired and 2 wireless networks one set for pc's and one set for macs? so the pc would be the dchp/dns for it's ris service

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
No, You just need to let the PC handle most of the networking things (dhcp/dns) and let the Macs connect to the PC Server, using the Mac Server for Group Policy or similar.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
well i don't know if anyone here has any experience with win server but i am having normal pc problems (crashes, killing hardware [2 graphics cards and a hdd in 6 hours:eek:]) i got one good install then the hdd died i might actually have to buy some new hardware:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.