Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 4 have 3g problems?

• Total voters

fastblack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I have been having big issues with 3g connectivity since I've gotten my iPhone 4, at first I thought it was just my phone, so I took it to the apple store. After some troubleshooting the genius replaced my phone. I took it home, it seemed to be working, I turned wifi back on for the weekend and didnt really try using 3g to much. Monday came around went back to work, where I dont have wifi, and big disapointment my phone started timing out, not loading websites, couldnt stream pandora etc.

I tested this for a while using speedtest, loading large sites etc, and it just kept timing out, or being really really slow. Then I tried loading a webpage next to my girlfriends 3gs on ios4, low and behold it worked. Went back to mine, same issue. Put them right next to eachother, tried loading a bunch of websites, doing speed tests at the exact same time. Hers always worked, mine kept timing out over and over.

I found this thread here after searching to see if others have had the same issue, which they have. I ended up going to the at&t store and having them swap my sim and re-provisioning my data as advised by apple. Didnt work. I tested the iphone 4's they had on display, it seems their phones have the same issue as mine after i turned wifi off. Tested the 3gs right next to it, and it worked. The rep pulled out his 3gs on 4.0, tested his, worked no problem all trying to pull up the same webpages.

I would like everyone to turn off their wifi, test their 3g connection and see if it works as it should. Report your experiences and maybe we can find out what is happening here. If you have access to another iphone model, test it versus the iphone 4

By the way, all testing was done either on my desk, or in my hand not using the 'deathgrip' and not in the same location. Work, mall, at&t store, apple store, it didnt matter.

Edit:
Took a couple videos excuse the cartoons int he background and my terrible video taking skills with my old sd300

Safari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mv3ahByTg8

Speedtest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytLPC0ZCsGk

mnpackerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
Count me in, I posted in the other thread too. I reset my network settings last night and speeds were back to normal...for a few minutes. Then either no connection or very slow connections, all while showing 5 bars of 3G. Same things happen if I reboot the phone, works fine for a few minutes then back to ridiculously slow speeds or no connection.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
No problems here. Coincidentally, I turned off my WiFi this morning, just to see how much 3G data I would use during the day, and I haven't seen any issues.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Yep, same here in SE Michigan. Spent time on the phone with both ATT and Apple. Mine comes and goes from either Really Fast or almost nothing. ATT did tell me there are some 'degraded towers' in my area that are being fixed. She didn't have an answer when i told her that my wife's 3gs that was sitting right next to me had no issues.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
My wife's iPhone 3G running iOS 3.1 loads websites over 3G way faster than my iPhone 4. And to think I returned my EVO on the day they released a SW update to fix the battery! JK. I'm still satisfied with my new iPhone. They will fix the bugs soon enough.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Makes no effect on mine and several others I've had a chance to test, some have been returned, I'm keeping mine till Apple addresses the issues in some way then it's going back for a full refund (I didn't buy it, was a gift).

Regardless, disabling Wi-F, GPS, and Bluetooth, resetting network settings, reseating the microSIM card/SIM tray, etc etc nothing has had any noticeable effect on performance - I can still cause total loss of service on mine with a fingertip placed on the seam on the lower left hand side, bridging the antennas, and I get severe signal degradation to the point of dropping calls and data with a normal left handed grip (not a "Death Grip" either), I said "normal."

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just tested... 2500mbps dn / 1700 up. (My iPad is only getting 1400mbps dn right now).

Andru1313

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I did this earlier today when I was having issues. Did not help. Had the same problem. I tried everything. I have a genius appt tomorrow.

NateDMB

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Same issues here in Eastern PA. My wife's 3GS blows my 4 out of the water. I hope this is fixed soon. It's a total waste paying for data with this going on.

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I too am experiencing this issue. I have taken the phone to the apple store, on iPhone 4 #3 and am still seeing the same quality issue even on a brand new phone. I have a bumper.. and I tested against my 3GS.. 3GS may not have been the fastest compared to the iPhone 4's burst rates when there is connectivity, but it was certainly WAY more consistant in connecting to the data network. I feel like i've been had.. and the feeling is getting really old... FAST!

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.