Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I used to be able to leave my iPad at 100% overnight and I'd wake up and it still would be at 100%. I could go a day and it would remain at 100%.

Now overnight, I am losing 4-5% and about 15% over 18 hours.

Not the only one affected by this. I do not have Push services on at all.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm not qualifying this by any measure, but I do sense that battery life isn't as awesome as it was at first (though it's still pretty good).

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm not qualifying this by any measure, but I do sense that battery life isn't as awesome as it was at first (though it's still pretty good).

I guess battery cant hold 100% like it used to

Angryipadguy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I have noticed this. I have never been able to get 10 hours but I'm lucky if I get 6hours now. I use mine for about 4 hours a night and I will have anything from 20-40% left when I put it back onto charge. Also that's with screen brightness on about 1/4th. I guess I would be lucky to get 5 ours on full brightness!

Fonzmeister

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Portugal - Lisbon
Are you guys j/k? Already with weak battery?

Damn, this scares me! Battery lifespan should improve, since the battery pack is composed by two batteries.

How many charges Apple said the iPad should take? I was thinking at least 600...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

jimHdk

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I used to be able to leave my iPad at 100% overnight and I'd wake up and it still would be at 100%. I could go a day and it would remain at 100%.

Now overnight, I am losing 4-5% and about 15% over 18 hours.

Not the only one affected by this. I do not have Push services on at all.

My iPad is 11 weeks old and shows no loss overnight.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
My iPad seems to be gradually lasting less and less, I hope there is a way to replace it because I fear what will happen at the end of a year or two!

General battery rules, never let them go fully flat, store at 50% charge for long periods of time, fully cycle (discharge) once every 30 cycles.
:)

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
Well, I just checked my iPad over night and I'm still at 100%. I don't use bluetooth but email is set to push, wi-fi version.

I think the "omg dis battry is teh sux!" that is about to happen is a little premature. Check your settings? Do you have any fetch accounts for email? Is gmail trying to check every 15, 30 minutes? Is bluetooth continually trying to connect? Is something off with your wi-fi settings?

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
From the iPad battery info page:

Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
General battery rules, never let them go fully flat, store at 50% charge for long periods of time, fully cycle (discharge) once every 30 cycles.

What is the difference between 'go fully flat' and 'fully cycle (discharge)'. I'm getting mixed massages here.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I run mine down to below 10% before I recharge. Less than 10% drop per hour when in use. I also shut my unit off in the evening.

It has to be an app using push notifications, or the Feds tapped into your iPad and the mic is transmitting all your conversations to the CIA. And people want a camera on all their devices...

Sent from my iPad (Its one with the duct tape across the top.)

Its not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I was thinking it was getting a bit weak too.
Seems it at 100% then 80% in less then a hour.
Glad I was able to get Applecare for 39.00 from a friend.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I was thinking it was getting a bit weak too.
Seems it at 100% then 80% in less then a hour.
Glad I was able to get Applecare for 39.00 from a friend.

Are you sure it's less than an hour? Time seems to fly when using tha iPad. Also, what are your charging habits? Let it fully discharge then charge a couple of times. I have also heard stories about people restoring their iPads and it fixed their problem.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
My iPad seems to be gradually lasting less and less, I hope there is a way to replace it because I fear what will happen at the end of a year or two!

I somewhere read that Apple recommends a 100% battery discharge once per month for optimum battery performance and accuracy of the battery level.

mattdam

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
As someone else mentioned, you probably downloaded an app with notifications that is wasting battery life. Words with Friends notifications could wipe out an iPhone battery in a few hours when it was originally released. Disable as many notifications as you can and you will likely see an improvement.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
As someone else mentioned, you probably downloaded an app with notifications that is wasting battery life. Words with Friends notifications could wipe out an iPhone battery in a few hours when it was originally released. Disable as many notifications as you can and you will likely see an improvement.

Interesting, I have Words With Friends installed but haven't played it in a few weeks. Can you explain why notifications would run battery power if I'm not playing any games where I'd need to be notified about?

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I bought mine maybe a week or two after launch, and the battery is still working fine and shows no loss of charge or capacity. Maybe it would help to list models and uses.

Mine is a 16 GB Wi-Fi that I use for games, reading, writing, drawing and surfing the Web. The brightness is set at full, and I don't use Bluetooth.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
no problems here, works as good as the day I got it. Run it down every so often and recharge.
If your having serious issues you should return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.