Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:07 AM   #1
east85
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to east85
Reduction of memory usage on iPhone 3G.

Under the circumstances, my phone has been painfully slow.

I recently jailbroke and upgraded my iPhone 3g to 4.0.

Currently, Sbsettings is running actively along with "Phone" as the only process listed. I only have 35 MB of memory free, making it difficult to even browse the web. Is this normal?

Also, I don't recall allowing multi-tasking on 4.0 when jailbreaking, but I may have on accident as I had trouble getting the phone into mode for jailbreaking and may have accidentally checked multi-tasking or left it checked after restarting the program.

How do I deactivate multi-tasking? How do I tell if it is active on my phone? I assume it is as many tasks are listed through SBSettings at times. How can I reduce overall memory usage to eliminate lag-time and closure of applications?

Thanks for any and all help.
east85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 03:59 AM   #2
Bl0ckHe1d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by east85 View Post
Under the circumstances, my phone has been painfully slow.

I recently jailbroke and upgraded my iPhone 3g to 4.0.

Currently, Sbsettings is running actively along with "Phone" as the only process listed. I only have 35 MB of memory free, making it difficult to even browse the web. Is this normal?

Also, I don't recall allowing multi-tasking on 4.0 when jailbreaking, but I may have on accident as I had trouble getting the phone into mode for jailbreaking and may have accidentally checked multi-tasking or left it checked after restarting the program.

How do I deactivate multi-tasking? How do I tell if it is active on my phone? I assume it is as many tasks are listed through SBSettings at times. How can I reduce overall memory usage to eliminate lag-time and closure of applications?

Thanks for any and all help.
It has been reported that the 3G is terribly slow after jailbreaking the iDevice, however MuscleNerd has just release the latest redsn0w beta of it a few days ago so that issue may have been fixed (haven’t tried it yet!).

To re-jailbreak your iDevice, simply re-run redsn0w again and ensure that you uncheck “install cydia” and “multi-tasking”.
Bl0ckHe1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:19 AM   #3
MrThompsonR
macrumors 6502

I have Cydia and Multi tasking running on a 3G. Outside of using SBSettings to free up memory, you can double tap the Home button and the apps running in the backgroung should be visible in a window @ the bottom of your screen. To close them you use a method similar to deleting an app. Press and hold on an icon until it wiggles, you should then see a small minus sign. Pressing the minus sign closes the app. If you have your available ram showing on your title bar you will see the difference right away.
MrThompsonR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4
east85
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to east85
Thanks a lot. It's running around 49mb of memory now that I've cleared up some stuff.

Does anyone else know any other techniques I might be able to use?
east85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Amon37
macrumors regular

Wow 49, with Mail, phone, weather and safari I only have 14mb free.

I wish someone would get That Iphone swap file app compatible with iOS4
Amon37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks