Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1
pmritchie
macrumors newbie

itunes won't sync with iphone 4

whenever i go to plug my iphone in to get music on my iphone, the only thing itunes does is recognize it. it doesn't give me any other options.. i've tried this on several of my pc's..

i got it to sync once, and now everytime i go back to that same computer all itunes does is put the name of the phone on the side bar and then the screen just says "iPhone"...

any ideas?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2
Hellishness
macrumors 65816

Do you have 9.2?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:30 AM   #3
pmritchie
macrumors newbie

yep, i have downloaded it again and redownloaded it..

it work the first time i pluged it in, but i didn't have time to put all the music i wanted on it..

came back later and now all the screen says when i plug it in is "iPhone"
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:19 AM   #4
jickson77
macrumors newbie

at the top of your itunes go to advanced I think and authorize your computer. But it will only transfer what you purchase. I just did this yesterday because my computer crashed a couple days ago too. My problem is now trying to download new music to my ipod. It only goes to itunes and not my ipod.
jickson77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5
pmritchie
macrumors newbie

all of my computers are authorized. even if i wanted to restore my iphone i would have to plug it into my friends mac, its the only computer that will actually let me see whats on my iphone..
pc and apple products i guess just don't work together so great!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:40 PM   #6
miamoose
macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same problem as pmritchie. I got the iphone to sync twice, but now itunes only recognizes it and displays a screen with the name "iphone" on it. If I change the name of the iphone on the side bar, it actually syncs it correctly. However, I cannot see the contents of the phone. Anyone else with this issue?
miamoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G3

iTunes is badly in need of an update.

I've had SO much trouble with the two iPhone 4s in our house (and my father-in-law's at his house). Different kind of bugs and errors all over the place. Restored from backups...wiped as new...doesn't matter. Different problems each time all over the place. Never the same from time to time. Nothing I can pin down.

Mostly been related to photo and music syncing, but I've had other general erros as well as problems with contacts.

It's just been terrible. Forget the signal issues...THIS has been the worst part of the iPhone 4 for me.

Last edited by Small White Car; Jul 6, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8
tdog09
macrumors member

Noticed this for me yesterday too! Haven't figured it out yet. Really Annoying!
tdog09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:58 PM   #9
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

You all are plugging it in wrong. Jeesh.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:13 PM   #10
tdog09
macrumors member

i just reinstalled iTunes and now it works. Weird!
tdog09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:33 PM   #11
BeerNap
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmritchie View Post
whenever i go to plug my iphone in to get music on my iphone, the only thing itunes does is recognize it. it doesn't give me any other options.. i've tried this on several of my pc's..

i got it to sync once, and now everytime i go back to that same computer all itunes does is put the name of the phone on the side bar and then the screen just says "iPhone"...

any ideas?
I thought the same thing. The only right click option was "Eject" There was a Mobile Me advertisement in the main window. I clicked "No Thanks" then full features and syncing was available.
BeerNap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:27 AM   #12
jimbebee
macrumors newbie

Cant sync itunes to iphone

When I try to sync my itunes music to my iphone, it says sync was successful however iphone says "no music"
jimbebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:53 AM   #13
wanderer03
macrumors newbie

problems with itunes not syncing

To those of you having as many problems with itunes not syncing music as much as I have , like others I tried everything I could think of , checked the internet for answers and nothing seemed to work ,
Finally I called apple and complained about itunes , and problems I was having trying to sync my music , talked to so many different tech's there , they had no answers , after many calls and complaint's I talked to a supervisor there , and she gave me a simple solution and it worked for me , so if you like try it yourself.
In order for itunes to sync my music and stop itunes from freezing up all the time , when ever you want to sync music simply TURN OFF YOUR ANTI VIRUS program , strange as it seemed it worked for me
wanderer03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:07 PM   #14
pmon29
macrumors newbie

Itunes screen only reads "iphone"

I had this problem and the reason this was happening to me was that my iphone Restrictions were set to "on." Once I turned off my Restrictions I got the normal sync screen in Itunes. Restrictions are found in the General Settings area of your Iphone.
pmon29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Bemo32
macrumors newbie

Wow

I feel so dumb. I was having the same problem with not being able to sync music. instead of hitting "apply" after checking all the music though i went to "file" and clicked sync iphone and presto! it started syncing.
Bemo32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 AM   #16
zjsmith2011
macrumors newbie

Okay guys I found a solution that worked for me. Go to the music tab under your iPhone and you'll see at the bottom right a button labeled "Autofill." Click. Problem solved.
zjsmith2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone